Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Any reason why we are only hitting 2.1Mb/s??

This is a discussion on Any reason why we are only hitting 2.1Mb/s?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So basically, if we were to migrate to any other ISP, seeing as the exchange hasnt been unbundled, and is ...

g0fhm is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Downham Market - Non LLU
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited - migrated from Sky (dis)Connect
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Any reason why we are only hitting 2.1Mb/s??

So basically, if we were to migrate to any other ISP, seeing as the exchange hasnt been unbundled, and is on BT equipment still, we would get the same?

My missus is getting revved up for a telephone showdown with Sky (everybody else seems to do it and get something for nothing!), to see what the are gonna do about it!

J

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unfortunately yes.
      However, how much are you paying for mid, err I mean connect ? Please change your profile.
      If its 5 / month rather than 17 your exchange is scheduled to be done in the not too distant future.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

You would get the same unfortunately. If you are going to call, do it calmly and say you have a slow speed issue and want to speak to them.

When you get through to CST (Depends who you get), explain that you think you are getting traffic shapped for no reason, then they can investigate things alot further for you, and may be put some sort of resolve in place.

Thanks

Yes, we are paying 17/month for "Connect" (which we were told was Mid). Looking at our exchange, it hasnt been unbundled, and I want to know why...... It's estimated as the 2nd Q of 09 for 21CN upgrade.... is that anything to do with it?

My missus is the eternal diplomat, when it comes to dealing with people such as these.... she can be nasty, and get her own way, very politely, without people on the other end of the phone even realising it! I had an issue with the HMRC (some divot had wiped my PAYE record on the computer and I was being stuffed for tax at the rate of 20% with no personal allowance), and had called over 20 times, and at the end of each call, still no further forward. I was at the point of losing it, and verbally assaulting someone (gets you nowhere!), so I asked her to have a go. She told them that she knew they couldnt discuss my affairs with her, but please sit back, listen to what I am saying, and act on it. If you cannot act on it personally, I'd like to speak to a manager that is prepared to deal with things.... 4 hours later when I called back, all was resolved :-) That's how good she is!

Will await the results of her phonecall tomorrow.... unless CS are open at this time of night?

Oh, and I've just been told that we are in fact paying 7/month as opposed to 17... as they cocked up, and told us it would be free, when in fact it wasnt going to be.... Dont know if it's worth screaming at them or not now!

J
      Last edited by g0fhm; 06-01-09 at 11:14 PM.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

The current cold weather will also have a big impact on your connection quality.

But I suspect that the change of connection speed is most likely down to traffic shaping and overall congestion of the internet at peak times.

any other LLU providers in your exchange?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Nope... our exchange is 100% unLLU.... according to samknows.com, and having trawled countless ISP's, it would appear that way in reality!

Thanks

the 21CN is BT's 21st century network project and nothing to do with SKY or any other ISP.

BT are going round and updating their equipment so they can go over to VOIP to handle calls on their own internal network of exchnages.

The only effect it may have will be the future upgrading of BT's product to ADSL2+ but that is being rolled out in stages as when an exchange goes over to ADSL2+ BT will need to have all the ISP's on their package to update their customers modems/routers to ones that take ADSL2+

Thanks

I'd like to know why we havent been unbundled then, when virtually every other neighbouring exchange has..... Pointless question really though, as BT will never say why!! (if you can get through to the right people to ask!). If we were unbundled, I'd be straight off to Plus Net (formerly Force9, was with them a few years back)... they are a brilliant ISP... and their CS staff even understand Linux!! No other ISP's CS staff have even heard of it!!

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Youve already checked Samknows and found out theres no immediate plans for anyone to llu your exchange. This is confirmed by Sky charging you 17.
      I think the only recourse you may have is that you were sold connect on the pretence that it was mid. How you prove this and what recompense you feel is acceptable is down to you ( or the wife ). Jumping ship however isnt going to change anything for you, apart from maybe making you feel better.

Thanks

It could be for a lot of reasons, the biggest one is that you could be on a smaller exchange and their isn't a lot of space or their isn't that many households on the exchange which makes adding equipment less likely as Sky, O2 etc will be going to the bigger exchanges to get more customers when they do LLU it.

May be worth phoning o2 (it's a free call) and seeing if they have a timescale on LLU'ing your exchnage as they just done my parents exchange and they are in a fairly small rural town and I thought that would never get done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast