Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Am I installed correctly ?

This is a discussion on Am I installed correctly ? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Wondered if someone could advise. I have had sky broadband about 6 weeks. Have since been having problems with ...

Shelster24 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01254
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Unhappy Am I installed correctly ?

Hi
      Wondered if someone could advise. I have had sky broadband about 6 weeks. Have since been having problems with my free McAfee security provided by Sky and virus on my pc.

When I first installed the broadband from the disc I got the message ' you are not ready yet' or something, even though I was past the activation date, all the lights were on the router etc. When I clicked on IE I was connected to the internet so thought nothing more of it and surfed away.

Im just wondering now whether there may be a problem with the router - hence why the CD thought I wasnt connected when I was - and whether this had caused the virus problems which has now destroyed my McAfee software ??? Any ideas anyone ? Is this just a problem with CD or could there be something wrong with the installation of my router etc ?

I am subsequently posted on the McAfee users forum to try and get help there - My McAfee froze and I couldnt open it so I have tried uninstalling it to install again; after a manual uninstallation wouldnt work I have uninstalled it using a tool from McAfee found on their forum site, but not cant reinstall it- argh !!!!! Anyone can help with this also ? I simply now get a message ' Extracting files please wait' and then nothing happens !!

Im beginning to wish Id stayed with Talktalk and Norton Security as Im convinced the combination of or one or another of my sky broadband router and their free McAfee software have knackered my computer ! Please Help !!

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Am I installed correctly ?

Your post is slightly ambiguous -- are you having a problem with the internet, are you saying you have a virus ?

I can tell you that the installation of McAfee should not affect your internet, though from what I've read, some people think both McAfee and Norton may, at least, slow down your computer.

I'd uninstall McAfee and have a look at less invasive (and completely free) programs such as AVG and Avast.

Shelster24 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01254
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Yes, Im saying Im having problems with my internet. When I first installed Sky Broadband the disc advised me I wasnt connected but I was, so I continued to connect and surf online.

I have since been attacked by several virus's and wondered whether the error the disc seemed to advise of could have something to do with this ? Is my router not working correctly and letting virus through for example ?

In addition, since having virus's on the pc (which also stopped my McAfee working) my internet now wont work properly. It lets me on certain sites and not others and even when on a site can kick me out for no apparent reason. In particular, it seems to allow sites we have used previously/regularly before the problems started, but whilst opening google for example and allowing a search it then wont open anything in the google search i.e. once you click on the link it closes the internet browser window immediately. It also seems to stop connection to any sites where I can get anti-virus/spyware etc software from !!

I have (I think!) uninstalled McAfee but the internet still has this error. I have tried repairing IE and also tried uninstalling Opera and reinstalling (the 2 browsers I had been using) but still both are affected by this problem. Are there some settings I need to check that a virus may have affected ? Is my router broken ? It still shows the green light for a connection and as I say some sites work, some dont.

I wonder whether I still have a virus on the computer as as well as having this internet problem it currently wont let me reinstall McAfee or use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which I had on the computer and used successfully before ? But because I cannot connect to the internet properly and currently also have no internet security it is difficult to get online and find other anti spyware/malware software to try. Would these free anti-spyware/malware downloads work if I download them from work onto a pendrive or something and then try and run on my home computer from there ?

I apologise for not being very IT literate about all this. I have had broadband for about 5 years with Norton Security and never had any problems and hence not needed to understand any of this before. Any help would be appreciated to point me in the right direction of what to try next.

Thanks

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Usually, virus or spyware attacks are evidenced by unusual file activity, for example constantly trying to connect to the internet or stating that a certain file is missing. The file names are often clues to which virus/spyware you have so you might do some Googling to see if you can find help.

In all honesty the simplest most effective remedy is to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows (not always an option, I know).

Once its working again make sure Firewall is turned on in Windows Networking and install anti-virus and antispyware programs before going on line -- the router firewall is on by default, I think -- but check (see router manual).