Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

slow download speed, is this as good as it gets? sky says it is.

This is a discussion on slow download speed, is this as good as it gets? sky says it is. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, i moved from Plusnet to a Sky tv and broadband package12 months ago, with Plusnet i was acheiving ...

trebor4460 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01782
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

slow download speed, is this as good as it gets? sky says it is.

Hi all,
      i moved from Plusnet to a Sky tv and broadband package12 months ago, with Plusnet i was acheiving 6000 kbps download speed.

With Sky my initial speed was averaging 5000 kbps which was exceptable but for the last two months my speed has dropped to 1000kbps.

my modem is plugged straight into the master socket and i tested my line in the bt test socket and my laptop is lan cabled into the router, no extensions are used.

these are the statistics i get from my router.
      Router Statistics

System Up Time: 198:29:09
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 5966 7868 0 0 0 0:11:07
      LAN 8366 7504 0 0 0 198:29:09
      WLAN 2416823 2505484 0 0 0 198:28:44
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7680 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 db 22.0 db
      Noise Margin 8.5 db 14.0 db

To cut a long story short after being in touch with the sky tech help i was initialy told there was no cap on the line, then after a second call i was told there WAS a cap and it will be lifted, after no change in speed i managed to get through to tier 2 of the tech help who told me that there was no cap on the line.

After queering why my router stats say i have a download speed of 7680 kbps why on various independent speed tests including the one on this sight i get at best 1000, 1500kbps max.?
      The reply i got was that these tests were notoriously iaccurate and if my router stats state i am getting 7000 mbps then that is what i am getting and it will not improve.

Could sombody please inform me if this is right because i canot even stream a youtube vid without it constantly stopping and starting and pics take a long time to download.

Looks like i have come to the end of the road with the poor tech help, and with the doubling of my subscription charge i am on the verge of swapping my i.s.p. and cancelling my Sky tv package.

Before i jump ship, is the info i get from the tech help true and looking at my router stats is 1000 - 1500kbps all i can expect?

i personally think my line is capped but i would be very greatful for anybodys input on this problem.

Thanks in advace guys.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: slow download speed, is this as good as it gets? sky says it is.

If you are capped then it is very lightly.
      Your router sync is close to what it should be for mid and your nm is not particularly high.
      The speedtesters can be inaccurate, although saying that I get good results from the one hosted on this site and others that arnt.
      Try this and see if things improve any Optimising your Broadband Connection
      Last edited by dholdi; 05-01-09 at 12:20 AM.

Billy Big Time is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle-under-Lyme
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

It seems as though Sky are capping lines at the moment by the looks of the varying comments on this forum.
      I've been on the max package not long after Sky launched it , and got about 3.8mb from day one.

Recently,the speed was at a crawl (about 756 kb/ps) and after 3 calls and "testing" the microfilter ,line , master socket etc was put through to tier 2 support.He admitted that the engineers had capped the line to make it more reliable!!!

I was then told that my line was only capable of 1mb or else i'd experience problems!!
      Why then , i asked , did i get nearly 4mb from day one?

More flannel followed about extensions etc and he finally (and reluctantly i feel) set my line to 3.8mb and lowered the ping while he was at it.

It does appear that there is a lot going on at Sky and we the paying customers , are getting the short end of it.

Please let us know how you get on and don't get flannelled with their jargon.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Sky have ran in the past a process called DLM (you can read about it elsewhere on the forum for spec etc) This basically monitors your lone and makes changes to keep it stable.

They are currently running it on all new customers using Sky's equipment.

The problem is that it does not or has not always done the right thing or has reduced speeds needlesly. This may be what has happened to you. The OP has not been capped or certainly not to any real extent.

Most of the problems with poor speeds or speeds getting slower are either problems with internal wiring or wireless setup or occasionally the main BT line.

I have seen no real indication of Sky capping lines, other than the odd one done by DLM, I have certainly never seen it on my line which I would have expected to be hit first if it was policy as I get 16Mb.

If you ring Sky they will check what has happened and if they can they will increase the speed to get a good balance, I don't see a problem with this, most customers would not notice anyway and I am sure they would prefer a good stable line to one that ran faster but disconnected frequently, especially gamers.

That said, DLM is coming around again, so stand by your beds

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

DLM is actually quite insightful, and there's a LOT that can be gained by having it on...it ONLY caps lines if it sees a bad line, so although sync might be good you'd have noise which'd lead to errors...

most people just see sync speed and that's it - they don't think to look into improving things so when DLM caps a line people kick off without considering why it's done it...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      DLM is actually quite insightful, and there's a LOT that can be gained by having it on...it ONLY caps lines if it sees a bad line, so although sync might be good you'd have noise which'd lead to errors...

most people just see sync speed and that's it - they don't think to look into improving things so when DLM caps a line people kick off without considering why it's done it...
      This is quite true. If it is applied correctly it is a very good thing. And for all of us who will have it this year, now is the time to check out the Cable and Faceplate section to ensure our internal wiring will not cause DLM to throw a wobbley.

Thanks

I agree, DLM should bring an improvement to peoples connections. There will always be the odd one where it does not suit but on the whole it's a good process.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the ones that don't benefit will be due to the reasons highlighted by the DLM system...it can then be discussed with Sky as to how to get it resolved...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      I have certainly never seen it on my line which I would have expected to be hit first if it was policy as I get 16Mb.
      Why would you expect that ?
      The idea of DLM is to monitor dropouts and errors and reduce sync to a level where they become acceptable and provide a more stable connection.
      As the vast majority of people have longer lines with higher attenuation which are more likely to attract noise and hence errors then I would have thought starting at the bottom and working up would produce better results. But Sky know best I guess and as they didnt listen last time I would be surprised if they do this time.
      I am also one of the fortunate few to get 16 meg and have zero dropouts and virtually no errors, so I hope thats not the policy or i may be following Saturday if they decide to ruin whats been a perfectly good connection for the past 2 years.

Thanks

If Sky were capping lines as another poster had insinuated, I would expect them to cap the higher syncing lines first, afterall we have the potential to eat up a lot of bandwidth.

I was using this as an example that I did not think they were.

I too hope they never do, I'm very happy with what I have.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast