Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Existing Customer on DLM? - now got problems!

This is a discussion on Existing Customer on DLM? - now got problems! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been with Sky BB for over 18 months and been on Max for the last 15-16 months. I ...

nifreaky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bangor, N.I.
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Existing Customer on DLM? - now got problems!

I have been with Sky BB for over 18 months and been on Max for the last 15-16 months. I usually get a connection speed of 6000-7000 kbps which is great.

Over the last few weeks I have been getting very slow downloads & browsing which can be as slow as 100 kbps and Upload of a similar figure even though my reported Sync speed shows as 6000-7000 DL/768 UL. I usually resolve this by reseting the modem several times until the speedtest shows a comparable figure to my sync speed.

This morning despite the reboots I could only get DL/UL of approx 130/130 even with a "proper" sync. I have a BT installed filterplate so I tried disconnecting this and plugiing straight into the test socket with a couple of different microfilters. No change.

I rang Sky and explained this was eventually put through to another techie and explained everything again. He had a look at my stats and said there should be no problems. I asked him if it could be DLM and said that my DLM was "suspended" on 19/12/08 at 08:00 am and asked me why this was! I told him that I thought DLM was for new customers only, I hadn't been informed of it and I therefore I didn't know why it was stopped/suspended probably for some technical reason. He said that there should be a ticket to explain this but there was none when he checked. He has now raied this for further checks to be done.

Since my call to Sky at 9.30 am today my speed has increased to...
      Download Speed: 4142 kbps (517.8 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 523 kbps (65.4 KB/sec )
      This is without any reboots.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7008 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 30.5 db
      Noise Margin 9.3 db 14.0 db

It appears my speed problems have started since DLM on my line was suspended. Anyone have any ideas about this?
      Last edited by nifreaky; 04-01-09 at 12:35 PM.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Existing Customer on DLM? - now got problems!

all customer are being moved onto the DLM monitoring software BUT the initial entry will say suspended on the day it was added...it hasn't started yet and I can 100% confirm that...so ignore what was said, it's coincidence and probably a knackered router...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      I can 100% confirm that.
      How can you confirm this ?
      Is there some thing you know that we dont ?

Thanks

quite obviously, as if you look at the LAMA DLM link it shows the entire history of DLM - when it was started, suspended and resumed...

in this case - and i actually came across the ticket - it shows suspended but when you look at the history it was never running...as are most connection prior to end of November...

trust me, if you have been active before mid-November '08, you're not on DLM...

unless, of course, someone has actually then turned it on when they shouldn't have...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

OK man just asking , lol

Thanks

i know, didn't mean for it to sound arsey!!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update on my previous post...

I have now narrowed this down to a WiFi problem the line connection. If I connect directly using an ethernet cable into the router I get full speed again. I have gone through the troubleshooting scripts with the helpline and couldn't get the matter resolved. The "techie" told me that as I was getting some sort of wireless connection then there was nothing more she could do. I asked about having the router replaced and when she checked with her manager she still said she couldn't and she would 100% guarantee there was nothing wrong with the router. "95% of routers returned with wireless problems are perfectly OK" and said that it will be outside interference etc. What about the other 5% I wondered? I have other wireless devices (laptop, 2 x iPhones, 1 x iPod Touch) all of which have worked perfectly until recently.

The strange thing was that when I stated that I couldn't even use my own router as this would be against the T&C's I was told that I couldn't use my own router "with their knowledge". I said that I wouldn't want to break the T&C's and she said the same thing again and said "there is a word in that statement" she had just said to me. I said that even with that I didn't have the username & password and she told me that there were online sources available to obtain these details!!!! I told her I was aware and that I have already done this but if I was to tell her that I had tried this in my own equipment then I could possibly be signing my own "termination of contract"!

It was only then when I stated that I would have to look for another ISP as they will not agree to replacing an inexpensive piece of equipment that she spoke to her manager again and she agreed to supply a replacement router. This will probably not be a V.1 but will be a V.2. Is this good or bad?

I have now added my existing Speedtouch 716 as an additional hub/wireless access point and anything connected wirelessly to this wlan is running at full speed compared to the Sky router that has just given me a d/l speed of 80kbps on a speed test I have just done.

There were other aspects of my call to the helpline were I had to educate the rep after she made misleading statements about lan speeds etc that does not inspire me with confidence in their advice and "help".

Thank you to all of you who have read this long-winded post and thanks to IAmNotTheEnemy for the information about the DLM stuff.

Thanks

np, but i hope for the CST agent you spoke to that she wasn't been monitored - we all know this forum is here and even a google search brings up James' password page but to actively tell someone to break contract isn't exactly good practice!!

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      np, but i hope for the CST agent you spoke to that she wasn't been monitored - we all know this forum is here and even a google search brings up James' password page but to actively tell someone to break contract isn't exactly good practice!!
      Yea, true, I was shocked when i read she said that there was online resources.

Just out of curiosity OP did you change the wireless channel on the router?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krysis View Post
      Yea, true, I was shocked when i read she said that there was online resources.

Just out of curiosity OP did you change the wireless channel on the router?
      Yes, I tried changing the channels to totally different ones from the neighbouring routers. I also tried this as part of the telephone scripts routine with Sky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast