Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear router not responding

This is a discussion on Netgear router not responding within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I have a very frustrating problem I have been trying to get resolved with Sky for a few ...

SAdiesel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Netgear router not responding

Hi All,

I have a very frustrating problem I have been trying to get resolved with Sky for a few months.

It appears as if my router stops responding completely. The router is a Netgear, and the fault is very random. It can happen 8 to 10 times in an hour, and then be OK for as long as 3 or 4 days, and then start locking up again. Normally the router needs to be reset a few times a day.

When this happens, my Laptop (Windows Vista) shows local services only, and the router lights stop flashing completely. Eventually the router connection disappears completely, and you can't even ping the router.

To resolve this, I switch the router off, and back on, and then it is OK again for a random amount of time.

I've been on the phone to Sky about this so many times, and don't seem to be getting any further. A summary of the action taken under Sky's guidance so far:

1) Line plugged into the test jack. Slight improvement on noise, but disconnections still happening.
      2) Filters swapped out 3 times.
      3) Norton Internet Security (2008) disabled. No difference.
      3) Norton Internet security uninstalled. No difference.
      4) Sky eventually sent a new router. Another Netgear. The same fault still occurs.
      5) Channels changed on router to 1, 6, 10, 11. No difference.

I have two laptops at home that we use, one is running XP. When the router goes down, neither laptop can access router or internet until it is power cycled.

I have also updated wireless device drivers on laptop, but still no difference.

Sky are monitoring from their end and have made all sorts of changes, but we don't seem to be getting anywhere.

I don't think it is a phone line problem. Everything seems to point to the router, but when the router was replaced and the fault continued it had me stumped.

I am very tempted to buy another router (Linksys etc) and give that a try.

Any help or advice with this from anyone would be very gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Netgear router not responding

Sounds like it could be a router fault.

Is the router mounted clear of obstruction with adequate air circulation? Is it very hot? The symptoms you describe could be caused by overheating - with a short power down letting it cool so it can then reconnect.

Normally Sky send out new routers as a general "fix all", which it sounds like they've done for you. I guess it's possible that you could have had two faulty routers

If it's not the router then I wonder if it is a wireless interference problem. Do you get this behaviour wired?
      Last edited by Saturday; 02-01-09 at 08:36 PM.

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Did you also switch over power supply units and connecting cables?
      I had a similar problem with a hub, but it wasn't the hub, it was the PSU! A replacement hub didn't cure the problem as I continued to use the old one! :doh:
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

SAdiesel is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies.

The router is cool, and away from heat.

When I received the new router, I swapped everything out, including the filters to avoid any chance of dodgy cables etc. It does seem like a router issue, but what are the chances of two bad routers in a row ??

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I see that to have tested the wireless connection ,
      But there is no mention of if you have used the connection wired also ,

I would ask for yo try it with the cable connection and ask you also to disable to wireless connection to see if its a wireless fault ,

Also what are you doing when the router stops ,

I had the same kind of fault with the router i have but this turned out to be a glitch with the firmware with FTP .

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Ludd View Post
      it was the PSU! A replacement hub didn't cure the problem as I continued to use the old one!
      Good point - I've had the same problem myself in the past.

@SAdiesel

A wireless fault looks most likely if all else has been swapped out. As I asked before, do you get this problem wired?
      Last edited by Saturday; 03-01-09 at 01:15 PM.