Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Pretty sure I am being capped?

This is a discussion on Pretty sure I am being capped? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Whether your router drops out or not at a low noise margin is largely dependent on the firmware. The target ...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Pretty sure I am being capped?

Whether your router drops out or not at a low noise margin is largely dependent on the firmware.

The target noise margin is applicable when the router initially syncs with the exchange equipment following a reboot/resync. What happens is that the router will sync at the highest speed it can for a noise margin of 6db with O2, 6.9db with Sky. From that moment on, the noise level in the line may change, up or down. If the noise goes up then the margin drops. If the noise goes down then the margin rises. The sync stays the same until a resync occurs, when again the router syncs at the highest speed it can for the default margin taking into account the noise level present in the line at that time.

The noise margin reported by your router is not a measure of noise on your line. It is a measure of the margin it has given itself when it negotiated with the exchange (and subsequently adjusted to current line noise). This is in effect the difference between the actual SNR and the SNR the router requires to run stable at a given speed.
      Last edited by Saturday; 02-01-09 at 12:32 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Rahat786786 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ilford
      Broadband ISP: O2 Broadband
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the explanation. What I will try to do is raise the target noise margin with the dmt tool when i get the 2740b. As you are aware, o2 can only raise or lower the noise margin in 3's so what i will try to do is sync with a 4 or 5 target margin and see if i can still sync at 8188, the max sync for my package.

nawz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Can't believe it...My speed has dropped from 3Mb to less than 1Mb. Spoke to Sky and ddissapointingly they can not do anything. Feels like i have been lied to. The customer rep's excuse was "There are more sky users in your area hence the speed drop". Speed drop of 2Mb??

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nawz View Post
      Can't believe it...My speed has dropped from 3Mb to less than 1Mb. Spoke to Sky and ddissapointingly they can not do anything. Feels like i have been lied to. The customer rep's excuse was "There are more sky users in your area hence the speed drop". Speed drop of 2Mb??
      That is rubbish, what are your router stats, can you post them again just too see if they have changed.

Another call to CST late evening may be required.

nawz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

Here are the stats...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your attenuation has risen by 3 to 50 dbs. This suggests your line may have been put on ADSL2+ which is not suiting it. Try to get through to CST and ask if you can be put back on G.dmt and your line configured as it was originally.

If this is not the reason for the rise, then your line has developed a serious fault.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123