Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Results 1 to 7 of 7

    Hearing Noise On Phone Line

    This is a discussion on Hearing Noise On Phone Line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; [Speel & Flattery] Hello, I'm looking for a bit of confirmation for what I already suspect although feel free to ...

    1. #1
      JohnSayce's Avatar
      JohnSayce is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broomhill Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Posts
      15
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Hearing Noise On Phone Line

      [Speel & Flattery] Hello, I'm looking for a bit of confirmation for what I already suspect although feel free to tell me I'm completely wrong.

      I should probably start by saying the ISP in question is not sky but it's all the same and I know you are a knowledgeable bunch. I'm a sky customer at home and you have helped me out in the past but now it's turn for my parents internet [/Speel & Flattery]

      Anyhow I believe there is an issue with the line. I can hear noise in the background on the phone line which others have said is a problem on the line. I have replaced the micro filter and still the have the same problem. I know for certain that the noise on the line is my ADSL router because when syncing I can hear "dial up" like sounds but when connected I can hear static.

      Also the router stats are:
      Attenuation: 53 db
      Noise Margin: 15 db

      But yet the connection speed is 160k which is quite frankly pathetic. It is to some extent "in the sticks" but am only 3k (ish) from the exchange which you would hope to get around 4 meg. Given they only pay for 2meg this should be easily attainable but are no where near this.

      Add to all this continuous drop outs and it all points towards the line to me. All this has been tested in the main socket with the face plate off.

      The only thing that I find weird is that occasionally it will connect around 2meg but when conducting a speed test I still only get 160k of throughput. I presume in this circumstance that for a brief instance the noise drops and the router thinks it can connect at this speed but the reality is that there is still significant noise on the majority of the adsl frequencies and thus the throughput on these frequencies is 0.

      Is this all sounding right and which bits should I mention to the ISP?

      Is there any further testing I could do? (Baring in mind I can't get detailed router stats because its not a sky router )

      Cheers
      John


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      Smithy99's Avatar
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Location
      Wirral
      Posts
      6,739
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 57 Times in 57 Posts

      Re: Hearing Noise On Phone Line

      If you plug a corded phone into the test socket and still hear a crackle or popping then you have a line fault. You need to ring your phone line supplier (whoever you pay your rental to)

      Advise of fault, do not mention broadband at this point, it confuses the issue and may result in no call being made by an engineer.

    4. #3
      JohnSayce's Avatar
      JohnSayce is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broomhill Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Posts
      15
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Hearing Noise On Phone Line

      Sorry, the noise is only audible when the internet is connected

    5. #4
      Steven_Belfast's Avatar
      Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Location
      Belfast
      Posts
      311
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Hearing Noise On Phone Line

      Hello ,

      What you need to do is from the test socket ,
      One by one plug all your equipment in ,
      So
      Filter & Phone - check for noise ,
      Then filter - phone and dsl cable - check for noise ,
      Then filter - phone - dsl cable - router - check for noise ,

      This why you can see if its the router or the dsl cable at fault ,
      Also if its only there when the router is plugged in this could be a raouter or you mite need some changed made to the broadband profile if you can post the line stats off the router this would give us more info to help you .

      Also try another router if you can .

      Remember to check sky tv where is it plugged in to the phone line ? make sure its filtered also.
      Last edited by Steven_Belfast; 28-12-08 at 04:57 AM.

    6. #5
      JohnSayce's Avatar
      JohnSayce is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broomhill Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Posts
      15
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Hearing Noise On Phone Line

      Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast View Post
      Hello ,

      What you need to do is from the test socket ,
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnSayce View Post
      All this has been tested in the main socket with the face plate off.
      Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast View Post
      One by one plug all your equipment in ,
      So
      Filter & Phone - check for noise ,
      Then filter - phone and dsl cable - check for noise ,
      Then filter - phone - dsl cable - router - check for noise
      ,
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnSayce View Post
      Sorry, the noise is only audible when the internet is connected
      Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast View Post
      This why you can see if its the router or the dsl cable at fault ,
      Also if its only there when the router is plugged in this could be a raouter or you mite need some changed made to the broadband profile if you can post the line stats off the router this would give us more info to help you .
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnSayce View Post
      I should probably start by saying the ISP in question is not sky but it's all the same and I know you are a knowledgeable bunch. I'm a sky customer at home and you have helped me out in the past but now it's turn for Also the router stats are:
      Attenuation: 53 db
      Noise Margin: 15 dbmy parents internet
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnSayce View Post
      Is there any further testing I could do? (Baring in mind I can't get detailed router stats because its not a sky router )
      Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast View Post
      Also try another router if you can .
      I'd like to but my parents only have one router and I live 200 miles away so realistically its not going to happen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast View Post
      Remember to check sky tv where is it plugged in to the phone line ? make sure its filtered also.
      There's no sky tv or any other devices plugged in apart from the phone and internet.

      Cheers

    7. #6
      PaulSky's Avatar
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Location
      Essex
      Posts
      4,202
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts

      Re: Hearing Noise On Phone Line

      Well if all other checks are done and it only happens with the router on then either the filter is faulty or there is an issue that the ISP needs to get looked at.

    8. #7
      JohnSayce's Avatar
      JohnSayce is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broomhill Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Posts
      15
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Hearing Noise On Phone Line

      Cheers

      I've logged a ticket. I'll post the outcome.

     

     

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION