Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

really slow speed

This is a discussion on really slow speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hello everyone this is my first post on here. I've recently purchased the sky talk, t.v and the max broadband ...

Godhatch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

really slow speed

hello everyone this is my first post on here.

I've recently purchased the sky talk, t.v and the max broadband package as I was told when I checked online that my phone line can support 8mb-16mb, this was also confirmed by a man called james who I spoke to on the sky website when I talked to him via instant message.

my old broadband used to run at around 2.3mb and the new sky broadband which should be faster by a long shot now runs at 1.7mb both tests were done via speedtest which in my eyes is rediculous.

I can't install the disc provided to me as it won't find my connection for some reason yet everything else will find it but I don't know if this is important.

I also live about one mile from where my phone connects to so I don't think this can be a problem neither.

any help would be greatly appreciated as it's really bugging me now.

Edit: i've just looked around the website, here's some stats that may be useful

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 72:01:12
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 4898 6361 0 1836 11018 00:10:24
      LAN 100M/Full 1192859 795776 0 5874 333 72:01:07
      WLAN 11M/54M 9524 0 0 3 0 72:00:54
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2045 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36 db 19 db
      Noise Margin 13 db 14 db
      Last edited by Godhatch; 27-12-08 at 04:45 PM.

2. Advertisement
      narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: really slow speed

If you are a new customer on Sky Broadband you will be going through DLM, this process will last 10 days, make sure you are plugged into your master socket, with the filter going in first, if you have extension sockets and they are in use make sure that they have a filter going into them and the phone connected to the phone side of the filter.

Also if you are on DLM you should keep the router turned on, this will remotley stabalise the line for you and you shouldnt need to phone Sky up at all, also the discs are not needed as they just have IE7 and the Mcafee security suite.
      Last edited by narl; 27-12-08 at 05:13 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

this will be my tenth day today and the speed hasn't changed any since the second day which was at 2.5mb after that it's been at this speed all the time.

my phone won't be changed over to sky until the 9th of January, will this play a factor in it or not?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You really need to plug into your Test socket and post the stats from there. Your attenuation should give you a connection speed of 11-13 Mb. Something is causing noise on your line, hopefully it is internal as this is easiest fixed. Using the Test socket will prove where it is originating.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

narl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Noise Margin 13 db 14 db
      That should be able to support a max speed of probably 6MB that is if you are in the master socket. As stated by previous poster go into the test socket and see what if the connection speed goes up any. If it is the same then you will need to phone SKY and they will then need to tweak your line and hopefully then get the connection at a greater speed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for the replies guys.

I've just looked at my phone sockets and i have two separate sockets.
      one has a test socket on it but doesn't work as i can't get a dial tone or anything through it and the other is the main one being used but doesn't have a test socket.

will it still be classed as the master socket as it's the main one being used or will it still be an extension?

anyway i've rearranged some wires to it and my downstream noise margin keeps changing anywhere from 9db to 13db but everything else is exactly the same.
      Last edited by Godhatch; 27-12-08 at 11:53 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If you trace the main BT cable coming from outside, does it go into the master socket first (the one with the split in it)?

If this socket is dead and has no cables to it, it may be worth swapping it for the other one and fiting a filtered faceplate, this will give you a best case senario in terms of connection.

Also, remove any wires from terminal 3 from all sockets, you don't need it.

You really want to get everything as good as you can before ringing Sky, it looks like either DLM or Sky have capped your line at 2mb maybe because of noise on the line so sorting this out is first priority. Going by your stats you should get around 12mb when you have got it sorted.
      Last edited by Smithy99; 28-12-08 at 10:34 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

the main line coming from outside the house leads into the socket without the tester which everything is connected too and nothing is connected to the other socket with the tester.
      as for the terminals inside the socket i have a blue wire in number 2 and a blue and white wire in terminal 5 (at least i hope they're the terminals) does that sound right?
      Last edited by Godhatch; 29-12-08 at 04:35 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok so I've completely changed my wring to the phone and now i have a downstream noise margin of 20db to 30db which has more than doubled but i don't know if this is good or bad. can someone tell me?

everything else is still the exact same so should i phone sky and see why i'm still getting the same download speed or will it sort itself out?
      Last edited by Godhatch; 30-12-08 at 05:50 PM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Phone Sky Tech support, tell them you have taken care of a problem on the line and you wish to be troublshot for slow speed, they will put your ticket through to CST once the troubleshoot is done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast