Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slowed download speeds

This is a discussion on Slowed download speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just to fill the forum with yet another slow connection thread After looking through the forums I logged into my ...

on edge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slowed download speeds

Just to fill the forum with yet another slow connection thread

After looking through the forums I logged into my router to look at the stats:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 8135 8845 0 863 3913 00:29:57
      LAN 10M/100M 11120 9928 0 4560 1195 00:30:38
      WLAN 11M/54M 1516 1317 0 338 126 00:30:30

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4096 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 21.0 db
      Noise Margin 11.9 db 23.0 db

This is what is strange, the router says im getting 4mb which I would be happy with, but for the last 3-4 weeks maybe I am rarely managing to download above 2, normally closer to 1 (wired connection). Speedtest.net has given me these results during different times of day.

So next thought was it the pc/firewall type of stuff. However when connected laptop (wired), with different OS and firewall etc, had same result.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Slowed download speeds

Looks like you are on the connect package by the upstream. What sort of times are these speed drops between 17:00 and 23:00 ? You could be getting throttled, sorry ! ! !
      Last edited by googleme; 27-12-08 at 01:31 AM.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

How long have you been connected? As Google' says, you are on Connect which has a 7-10 day training period. You should re-sync with the exchange every day during the period. From your attenuation it looks like your profile is set too low, which would account for your slow download. Try doing an official BT performance check by going to BT Performance Tester enter your phone number then your ADSL username. This will do an official BT speed test and show your present profile. Your ADSL username is <the LAN MAC number of your router, no colons, followed by> @skydsl You can also obtain this from the router by using one of the utilities available on the forum.
      Copy and paste the result to the forum. If you have been reading the forum, you will know that plugging into the Test socket will give the best result possible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
      Your DSL connection rate: 4096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1427 kbps

Thanks for your replies guys. So the above seems to pretty much confirm what I had found. router is providing 4mb but im only getting 1.4?

So it looks like the profile is also set too low? So next step is to contact sky?

Also for other information - I have been with sky for 2 years or so. Have previously had speeds of 4mb+, and although the above test wasnt using the test socket, I had plugged into it yesterday and speedtest.net showed no change in results.

Thanks for any help

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With your attenuation you should be getting the maximum available on Connect, ie 8000+kbps. This suggests that there may be a bottle-neck in your internal wiring. The only way to find out is to plug into your Test socket and leave it there for a few days. Apart from an increase in your noise margin, there will be no immediate improvement as there would be with LLU. If your noise margin remains high and your connection speed does not increase, then phone Sky and ask them to get BT to have a look at your connection. Problems with Connect are always more difficult to solve than LLU ones.

If you have not already done so and you are not using Vista, it may be worthwhile downloading and running TCPOptimiser, link below. Even with your low connection and profile speed, you should be doing better.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Previous use of the test socket has shown no difference in performance. Would any change not be immediately apparent?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

no, sync speed would increase but down load speed will take up to 72hrs to adjust...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket