Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Basically dead

This is a discussion on Basically dead within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well, it's been about 2-3weeks now since i got sky max and so far my impressions of it are....well...somewhat...lets just ...

watafu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Basically dead

Well, it's been about 2-3weeks now since i got sky max and so far my impressions of it are....well...somewhat...lets just say i would get banned for voicing my opinion. The first day went well, connected at 10000/768 straight off, was stable, very fast and brilliant...then things went downhill very quickly. The connection started to get slower, 7000/512 then 6000/512 and now down to 5019/606 and is completely unstable. The line consistently drops in speed, running well into the low 20bytes/sec for 10-20mins at a time. I'm not really sure what happened, I know they lower the speed to get a stable line but if it was completely stable in the first place what the hell are they playing at? Its nigh on unusable now n its taken me an hour to load this website just to try and post this.
      I have tried swapping out everything I can, there is no master socket in my house, the BT engineer took it out when he moved our phone line to the back room, so there is no way to test that. The only other thing to do is test a different router but that breaks the t/c's.

Stats right now are:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5019 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39 db 22 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 15 db

A hell of a lot different from when we were on uk-online, where it was stable at 8000/768 for 2years solid. Not sure what else I can do my end to try and sort the issue out really...

2. Advertisement
      watafu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Re: Basically dead

Ok, found out something interesting while trying to track down the source of the interference, laptop in another room by itself, works nearly perfect, the line still drops but nowhere near as often n speeds are 100% The moment i turn the desktop pc on, all my troubles start over for both the laptop and the pc. Im going to assume the pc is the cause for now and i guess try and move it but my line is still fairly unstable, so would be good to try and get that sorted with sky, the thoroughput is well below par most of the time.
      Would be worth noting that if the laptop is plugged in then its a similar situation, so maybe its a broken router? wirelessly it works flawless, only messes up when anything is plugged in...
      Will run a couple more tests n try n find the cause of it i guess, seems the router might be in poor condition aswell as my line slightly dodgy >_< but will i be able to get it reset to synch at a higher speed again?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Basically dead

Well first thing we need to know is the basic set up, how many sockets are on the line itself, do you have sky tv connected to the telephone line? You say you have no master socket as it has been removed? That is something normally not done by BT engineers as it is something that is needed for testing. If there is an issue with the telephone wiring then that will impact your speeds greatly and will need looking at first.
      The PC connectivity side of things, are both pcs wireless or using ethernet? Are they both on automatic IPs?