Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow speeds as of recent

This is a discussion on Slow speeds as of recent within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey there, guys and girls. I'll get straight into it: I've had sky bb (mid) for quite a long time ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Slow speeds as of recent

Hey there, guys and girls. I'll get straight into it:

I've had sky bb (mid) for quite a long time now - maybe about two years. Until recently I've always connected via the ethernet cable, which long story short that required the use of an upstairs extension socket, with an extension connected, also. Well, I didn't know this would cause any hassle until I became a t1 agent for sky bb (live in N.I.) about 7-8 months ago. Regardless, I'd never had a problem. Never intermittent or unbearably slow, and the odd time I'd just have to turn the box off and on to get rid of error build-up, I assume.

Now recently I've been having problems. Started by getting very intermittent, which I realised running in the extension socket had finally taken its toll and I'd have to connect to the master socket as I was down to speeds of below 500kb. At this point, however, I think it'd be worth it to say I'm around 8km from my exchange ~(yes, 8km; on the outter limit apparently) so I know my speed is never going to be great, but I don't particularly care as long as I can browse relatively quick.

So, I plugged it into the master socket and after about 3 days it seemed to stabilise at around 1.3mb and was working very good. Now, today, its acting up again. Watching simple youtube videos that only load up the song with a still image takes forever, and it seems I have to refresh the page a lot as it stops loading images on websites until it gets a little kick to go, if you get me. I've obviously tried the test socket and no resolution in that, either. According to my DSL availability (I know... naughty, naughty) I'm only capable of 512kb, so is it worthwhile just getting CST to cap the line down to around 500kb to make it stable or will this be a different issue altogether?

Not sure exactly every piece of info that you'll require, but here's most of the useful stuff I'd reckon.

2nd gen black netgear router
      netstat: < 10
      vista
      wireless

exchange: NIWBY
      ~8km from exchange
      in master socket
      test socket does not resolve issue
      microfilters are in every tel socket in use

DownStream Connection Speed 1376 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 416 kbps

WAN PPPoA 22639 27276 0 196 2764 03:24:42
      LAN 100M/Full 1059 0 0 13 0 03:25:53
      WLAN 11M/54M 28225 24103 0 2817 211 03:25:40

Line Attenuation 56 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 10 db 13 db

Cheers in advance for the help and Merry Christmas.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Slow speeds as of recent

Your attenuation says you are a lot closer to the exchange than 8K. You should be getting about 3Mb without too much difficulty. When you say you plugged into the Master socket, do you mean the Test socket which is behind the Master faceplate. Plugging in there will give a true indication of what your line can handle.

If you are one of the unfortunate ones who does not have an NTE5 linebox, you could have a look inside and take the wire off the No 3 terminal. If you have hardwired extensions this will improve things. As you are working with Sky, I don't have to tell you that everything that is connected to the phone line must run through a filter.

Welcome to the Forum and a Merry Xmas.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your attenuation says you are a lot closer to the exchange than 8K. You should be getting about 3Mb without too much difficulty. When you say you plugged into the Master socket, do you mean the Test socket which is behind the Master faceplate. Plugging in there will give a true indication of what your line can handle.

If you are one of the unfortunate ones who does not have an NTE5 linebox, you could have a look inside and take the wire off the No 3 terminal. If you have hardwired extensions this will improve things. As you are working with Sky, I don't have to tell you that everything that is connected to the phone line must run through a filter.

Welcome to the Forum and a Merry Xmas.
      Cheers for the reply, buddy.

I know the 'master socket' strictly means the NTE5 socket (test socket) but when I say master socket, I mean the main telephone socket. I shall plug into the test socket and post my stats, but I had previously plugged into it and seen no change in speed/reaction to load web pages or youtube videos. It was still like the way I tried to describe. It's rather hard to describe, but it seems to load up the page OK, but then errors out and decides to stop the loading of the page, leaving me with a long wait time, or rather to press refresh on firefox and it sometimes shall load then.

I have a few mates in CST, so I'm pretty clued up to how CST functions (also about to move over to CST myself). Perhaps I'm mistaken in the length of the LLU, but I'm pretty sure it's the furthest the exchange will see. I've had a mate look at my line via lama etc. a long time ago and I've never had a problem since, but it's giving me a problem as of recent.

Let's say for example I get good stats in the test socket. I assume it's then to do with my extension wiring and I'll have to get in touch with BT faults dept? I know I do these checks day in, day out, but it's rather different when it's in your own ball court, haha.

Anyway. As I say, I'll post my test socket stats and see what's going on, but last time I did there was no change at all.

Until I do, if anyone can give any advice or experience on the problem, I'd really appreciate it. Cheers, guys.

Thanks

I'll have to get in touch with BT faults dept?
      That's the last thing you want to do unless you want to stump up a couple of hundred quid. If you get a good result from the Test socket, then your internal wiring can be improved fairly easily. Its just a case of following the advice you will receive in the Forum. Post your stats from there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Exclamation Re: Slow speeds as of recent

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      I have a few mates in CST, so I'm pretty clued up to how CST functions (also about to move over to CST myself).

There you have it lads if you need help talk to this man ,

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

^^^^ Not really he has not sorted his problem out CST agents should be able to see this problem. Stats in the the test socket please.
      Last edited by googleme; 27-12-08 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks

There you have it lads if you need help talk to this man ,
      Might be a woman!

TomD

Useful Utilites

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Might be a woman!
      True true ,