Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Should I write back?

This is a discussion on Should I write back? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When I first bought Sky Broadband (Max) I decided to replace my old router directly with the sky one - ...

gareth86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Speed set to 14mb

When I first bought Sky Broadband (Max) I decided to replace my old router directly with the sky one - by that I mean I didn't use the cables that come in the box. I didn't realise that the cable I was using was faulty and was messing with my speed which therefore caused DLM to set my line to roughly 8megabit.

I emailed them about this and was contacted by a very helpful man who helped me figure out what the problem was (the cable). I used the new cables that come with the Sky router which made my connection stable but it was still set to the same 8 megabit so I emailed them again and they emailed back saying they had set my line to 14megabits.

I understand the package is 16megabit and it's highly unlikely I will achieve the full speed, however should they really be setting it to 14megabit? The speedtest in my signature shows I don't get the full 14megabit anyway. I'm "around" 950 metres from my exchange.

It's not really that important as i'm very happy with my current speeds. I'm just curious.

Thanks
      Last edited by gareth86; 23-12-08 at 06:22 PM.
      Gareth

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Should I write back?

You may find that 16Mb connection was generating errors when Sky re-configured you.

Is the extra 2Mb really needed. If it aint broke don't fix it. If you try to get the extra 2Mb you cold find your line being re-configed again and at a lower rate if there are more errors on your line now than when they first reconfiged to 14Mb.

gareth86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Should I write back?

The extra 2Mb isn't needed and is nothing important but it's just another useful asset for downloading from services such as iPlayer.

I agree about the fixing something that's not broken. I'm pleased with the speeds so I think i'll leave it as it is. I don't fancy risking it. Thanks for your help
      Gareth