Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

slow broadband.. no joy at mastersocket! advice please!

This is a discussion on slow broadband.. no joy at mastersocket! advice please! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there I have been wading through all the infomation on this forum and have gotten myself very confused. Sorry ...

mrmeme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

slow broadband.. no joy at mastersocket! advice please!

Hi there

I have been wading through all the infomation on this forum and have gotten myself very confused. Sorry if this seems like another! slow broadband question!

Basically the broadband connection has become very slow in the past few weeks. This is at my parents house and I have just come home this weekend to try and sort the problem. We have had slow connection problems in the past but they have usually resolved by using the mastersocket for a few hours.

So I tried that this time, and still had no joy. Currently the router is connected to the test socket. It is a tad bit faster than before but still not great. It especially shows on downloading files.

Here are the router stats

WAN PPPoA 25856 28829 0 1204 4718 01:30:32
      LAN 100M/Full 6639 6206 0 995 613 01:33:05
      WLAN 11M/54M 26024 22738 0 3911 637 01:32:53
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3531 kbps 382 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36 db 20 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 17 db

As you can see it says its connceted at 3.5mbps. But all the speedtests I am doing are coming back with 0.2-0.3mbps. I have tried swapping the microfilters, disconnecting all other equipment and connceting to the router with a cable rather than wireless. Still no luck!

I look in the mastersocket and there are quite a few cables in there, and one of thems not even connected to anything!

Im not too keen on attempting any rewiring or anything like that. I am not sure whether to call sky or bt?

Any help would be appecriated!

Thanks very much

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: slow broadband.. no joy at mastersocket! advice please!

Your sync is showing connected at the correct speed so it's either a throughput issue or something strange is occuring. BT won't do anything if you call them so don't waste your time on that, do you get the same speed reports when on ethernet and what speed tests are you running?

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

make sure you only have one pc on(wired) when running the speedtest and you have no downloading clients open/programs that access the internet.

mrmeme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Hi there

Here are my results:

thinkbroadband:
      Speed Down 51.49 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps )
      Speed Up 322.86 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )

2nd test
      Speed Down 441.93 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
      Speed Up 321.01 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )

broadbandmax speed test
      Download Speed: 501 kbps (62.6 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 320 kbps (40 KB/sec )

I tried the bt speedtester a few times but it keeps saying its busy!

I am doing these tests with just my laptop connected to the router wired with nothing else connected (wired or wirelessly). Theres only one other laptop in the house and that shows similar speeds.

Are the rest of the router stats ok?

Is it possible theres a problem with the master socket itself? on closer inspection there are 2 wires not connected to anything. Who is the best to contact with regards to fixing the master socket if thats the problem?

maybe its the router thats causing the problem? I have tried swapping the phone and network cables but with no luck!

thanks for the help guys!
      Last edited by mrmeme; 23-12-08 at 04:39 PM.

gill07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Alsager
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Exactly my problem as well, except my d/l is slightly higher 0.8Mbps and this is the same even with a new router, which was delivered this morning.

BTSpeedtest is busy apparently.

More than one with exactly the same problem, peculiar.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The BT Performance Tester will not work with Sky LLU, only ADSLMax, which is the BT name for Sky Connect.
      Could the OP confirm what package he is on. His profile says Base but this is obviously incorrect.
      The connection is syncing far too low for the attenuation, which if the stats are from the Test socket, suggests an external line fault. If they are from the Master socket, try removing the front plate and using the Test socket. With an attenuation of 36 a decent line should sync at about 8000kbps.

There is obviously a problem with the connection, but running TCPOptimiser(link below) will ensure the PC is set up as well as possible. Don't bother if the PC is running Vista as this will not improve it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.