Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slow broadband speed

This is a discussion on Slow broadband speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've had Sky broadband for about two years (max) and normally get somewhere between 3.5 and 4 Mbs. I'm quite ...

warriorpaul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Goscote
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Slow broadband speed

I've had Sky broadband for about two years (max) and normally get somewhere between 3.5 and 4 Mbs. I'm quite happy with that because I'm a fair distance from the exchange. For the last couple of weeks however I've only been able to download at about 600kbps, and sometime as low as 200kbps. The stats for the router however still show that it's connecting at around 3.5Mbps.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3744 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.0 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 11.0 db

I've tried plugging the router directly into the main phone socket but it makes no difference. Is it likely to simply be due to contention ratio i.e. don't you effectively share your line with 49 other people, and one or more of them could be downloading all the time? If so, is there a way to check that this is the case rather than a fault with the router?

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received. If it's of any use I'm on the Goscote exchange in Leicestershire.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Slow broadband speed

Quote Originally Posted by warriorpaul View Post
      Is it likely to simply be due to contention ratio i.e. don't you effectively share your line with 49 other people, and one or more of them could be downloading all the time?
      No, that's not very likely. Slowdown due to contention or throttling is pretty much unheard of with Sky LLU products, which is what you have according to your Skyuser profile.

You're syncing at 3.75meg so you should be downloading at ~3meg (allowing for overheads). As you're not, the most likely reason is you're wireless and have a poor quality signal or, second most likely, you're testing your speed with an overloaded test server.

After that it's probably down to something on your PC or LAN using your bandwidth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      No, that's not very likely. Slowdown due to contention or throttling is pretty much unheard of with Sky LLU products, which is what you have according to your Skyuser profile.

You're syncing at 3.75meg so you should be downloading at ~3meg (allowing for overheads). As you're not, the most likely reason is you're wireless and have a poor quality signal or, second most likely, you're testing your speed with an overloaded test server.

After that it's probably down to something on your PC or LAN using your bandwidth.
      Thanks for your reply Saturday.

The problem I'm getting with slow dowload speed has only just started happening and is with both of my computers. Neither computer has had any new software installed recently and both were downloading at around 3meg until recently. They are both connected to the router by ethernet cable rather than wirelessly. I've also tried testing my download speed on a couple of test servers at various times of the day, all with the same result. I even did one at 6am this morning to try to eliminate overloaded servers. That's what made me think about contention. I'm now thinking that it may be a fault that's developed with the router? But I'm not sure about this.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

you may want to phone sky tech support and find out what your download speed is configured at. the speed may have been lowered due to dlm. go to your command prompt and enter netstat(make sure the other pc is turned off) and make sure there are less than 10 active network connections. the setup is most likely the reason, not much point phoning sky until you have removed any extension cables, connected to your test socket and checked your microfilter setup. one thing is for sure though, its definately not a router fault.

Misfit96

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm now thinking that it may be a fault that's developed with the router? But I'm not sure about this.
      Yes, that's possible but not as likely as an external factor. Is there any chance you've overlooked something like Sky Anytime running on your system using up bandwidth (it runs all the time not just when you're using it)?

Other than that then there is the possibility that your connection is generating a lot of errors and causing data to be retransmitted, though the sort of reduction in throughput you are seeing would be very unusual and that much line noise would probably give all sorts of connection stability problems. You do have line noise somewhere though looking at your sync/attenuation.

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      you may want to phone sky tech support and find out what your download speed is configured at. the speed may have been lowered due to dlm
      Could you be mixing up Connect (ADSLmax) with Sky LLU? There is no download speed configured on LLU. The router is syncing at 3744kbps and it's immaterial whether that has been set by DLM or not - I suspect not as the noise margin is close to default.

Also, please don't quote the ridiculous Sky T1 mantra of "less than 10 netstat connections" without caveat. For a start, if you have several browser windows open then you could easily have more than 10 connections, or a mail program running, or your firewall and so on. Secondly, at least advise that netstat -b is run so you know which executables are responsible

The issue being complained about is low throughput compared to sync (though the sync is low for the attenuation), not low sync per se.
      Last edited by Saturday; 19-12-08 at 01:08 AM.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

i apologize, i should have explained that you shouldnt open multiple browsers before checking the active network connections(which im sure loads of people do).

if the speed tests you have been running show youre connected at 3744 kbps then where are you getting slow download speeds from? do you mean when downloading p2p? sorry if i have misread the situation.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

also, misfit...you got the wrong number in your sig...

it's 08442 410515, option 3 for tech...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Apart from slow download, the OP should be syncing at about twice the speed he is. If the stats are being taken from the Test socket this indicates an external fault on his line.

Even if you have not actually installed any new software, it is possible an update has screwed things up. This is not unknown! To check this you could try starting in Safe Mode with Networking and check your speed. This would rule out security software causing a bottleneck.

If you are set for Auto Updates check if your network adapters have received an update from MS, if they have, roll them back. It would do no harm to check on the manufacturers site for the latest drivers for your network adapters and download and install them if available.

You could also try downloading and running TCPOptimiser, if you are not running Vista, link below. If both your PCs are showing the same symptoms, this may not help but it will do no harm.

The foregoing apart I am inclined to think this may be a router fault and there is a way to check this. Go to MelsNotes and use the application under Router based "speed test" This will measure your download speed independent of your PCs. While you are there, it may help if you also take the detailed stats of the router and post them here.

I am assuming here that you are running Windows PCs, if you are using Macs, my apologies.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks to all the replies so far. I am running Windows XP Home with all the latest updates. I'll certainly try the suggestions posted so far and let you know the outcome. Just to keep you updated I rang Sky up about my slow download speed at around 17:15 today. My line stats at the time were:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3776 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.0 db 28.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 11.0 db

I had also just done another speed test:

thinkbroadband :: Broadband Speed Test Results

Date 20/12/08 17:15:56
      Speed Down 310.86 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )
      Speed Up 647.48 Kbps ( 0.6 Mbps )
      Port 8095
      Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

I explained the problem and they said that the speed test results were "impossible". They said that my download speed could never be less than my upload speed because one reduces in proportion to the other. I said that I had run a number of tests both on this site and others, all with similar results. They refused to recognise any tests as valid. They tested the line and said that I was getting around 3.7meg. I agreed that that was what the router was showing, but not what I was getting. I asked about contention and they said that because I'm on sky max then I would get preferential download bandwidth so it wasn't that. I asked if it could be a faulty router. They wouldn't even consider that as a possibility. The bloke at Sky then said "is that OK then?". I said, not really because I'm only getting between 0.2 and 0.6meg download speed. He then told me to hold on while he spoke to his manager. He came back and said that I was getting 3.7meg download speed and ALL the speed tests I'd conducted were wrong. There was nothing further they could do because there was no problem. I asked if there was a speed test that I could do which they would recognise as valid. He said "no". I said that it was obvious that my download speed had dropped recently because the BBC iPlayer keeps stopping which it never did before. He said that that would still happen with 4meg.

Do you ever feel like you're hitting your head against a brick wall?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Do you ever feel like you're hitting your head against a brick wall?
      Yes, with Sky, all the time. BUT, in the two years I have been supporting this forum, I don't recall a single instance where the sort of problem you describe has been down to a problem with the Sky network.

It may well be a router problem, not probable but possible. It is more likely something to do with your PC/LAN. Look for a bottleneck (NIC/drivers etc) or something blocking or using bandwidth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast