Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Acquiring Network Address- Stuck!

This is a discussion on Acquiring Network Address- Stuck! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, I joined sky today (my internet line went active yesterday) and since I've hooked up the wireless router, ...

infam0us is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 020
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Acquiring Network Address- Stuck!

Hello all,

I joined sky today (my internet line went active yesterday) and since I've hooked up the wireless router, it says the network status is "acquiring network address" even though the internet works. I am using the ethernet cable which is attatched to my pc, and not using it wirelessly.

Also, a few times today the connection tapped out and wouldn't work.

I saw a similar thread to this one, but I tried all the suggestions yet to no avail!

Any help with my issue would be greatly appreciated.

Im using Windows SP2, with the Sagem f@ast 2504 modem, using the ethernet cable.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Acquiring Network Address- Stuck!

Can you confirm you are receiving the message on wireless but not on ethernet?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

thanks for the prompt reply, I dont think i can because i do not have my laptop with me at the moment.

any possible fix?

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

are you talking about using the ethernet cable with your laptop? It sounds like the pc/laptop you have has wireless capabilities and it will probably say acquiring network address until you enter in the network key(in capital letters) and connect to the sky wireless network.

Either that or check in the device manager if you have a wireless adapter and if you dont want to use wireless then just disable it.

hope this helped, didnt really understand the situation.

Misfit96

Thanks

It is quite possible your line has not yet been fully enabled. Give it a day or so and see how it goes. If you can post your stats from your normal position and from the Test socket it will help with diagnostics. There is a link below telling you how to do this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hmm, the problem seems to have fixed itself, but I'm not sure how. I'm tempted to unplug and reboot the router to see if the problem returns, but I m not sure if it will fix again. I did restart a few Services which I had disabled a few months back, which might have fixed the problem.

Also, my PC is not wirelessly enabled.

thanks again for the help everyone.

Thanks

If you are not using the wireless the best thing to do is turn it off the Access Point in the router settings. There is then no chance of anyone making a clandestine connection and possibly getting you in trouble. The router will probably run cooler and use less power too, which is no bad thing.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

thanks for the above suggestions. Using the ethernet cable, my connection is active and works well, however, when using my laptop which is wireless, I get the same message as before. I am able to connect to other wireless networks fine, but not my sky one.

any help would be appreciated.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

acquiring network address normally means the network key is entered incorrectly. if you are using the standard WPA-PSK then make sure you enter the network key from the label of your router correctly in capital letters

misfit96

Thanks

Enter your router settings, go to the Wireless settings and under security, tick 'Disable'. Remember to click Apply.

If you are now able to connect that confirms it is a pass key problem. Go back to the wireless settings, select WPA-PSK and check that the key shown is the same as the one on the router label. If it is, and you were unable to connect with it, delete it and put in your own. To start with keep this as simple as possible, so there is no chance of making a mistake. Something like AAAAAAAA. If you are then able to connect, go back in and change the key to a more difficult one, at least 16 characters long.

If you are still unable to connect, it could be your machine is having difficulty with WPA, so try WEP. To do this tick WEP and put a word or phrase in the box and click generate. This will create 4 keys, tick one and use it when you connect. WEP is not as secure as WPA but it is better than nothing. It requires special tools to break which the average user does not have.

Remember when you make a change in the router settings, you must click Apply. This is the cause of many failures.
      Last edited by Isitme; 23-12-08 at 11:03 AM.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast