Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

connection prob's

This is a discussion on connection prob's within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; good evening fellow sky users i hope someone can help me 'cos i haven't a clue . first of all ...

munsy200 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01279
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face connection prob's

good evening fellow sky users
      i hope someone can help me 'cos i haven't a clue .
      first of all i am running xp with sp 3 with a broadband connection, just so's you know.
      for some time now my pc disconnects several times per session,the trouble starts when i try to reconnect, a small bar appears asking me to connect,i click "connect" , then another bigger panel appears asking me to connect,i click "connect" then another panel appears asking me to connect,i click "connect,i am then told my pc is trying to connect via dial up(,but it never connects). the only way i can then connect is by closing everything down(i dont actually switch off).i then click start then the internet explorer button,which eventually gets me back to my sky homepage, i then have to close the dial up panel then click connect on the original small bar i am then back online till the next time it goes off.
      i have clicked file and then unchecked"work offline" but this does not help.the same applies if i go into sky tools.
      i quite expect to be "offline" when i go to send this message.
      please explain anything i have to do in "very plain english" 'cos i am a complete dummie at this game.
      very many thanks..............steve.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: connection prob's

It could be trying to connect by dial-up. To stop this, go to Internet Options in the Control Panel, open the Connections tab and select 'Never dial a connection'

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Also on that page look for anything in the white box up top of the connections section, if there is something in there remove it. You may also want to check add remove programs for anything weird you don't recognise just in case.

Thanks

Also on that page look for anything in the white box up top of the connections section, if there is something in there remove it
      Only if you are sure you do not want to keep a dial up connection. I have a PAYG one for emergencies.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I was having something similar this summer where it seemed that my connection would "drop" with IE 7 and then it would be annoying having to reconnect all the time.

It got fixed when I moved to firefox 3, for some unknown reason it hasn't done it on this browser,

So install Firefox 3 and see if it does it with that.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi there isitme and paul sky
      i have done as you say and i will give it a couple of days to see how things go.
      the white box only says broadband connection so i presume that is o/k?.
      i shall let you know and post thank you's in a couple of days.

and thanks to undecided adrian i shall keep that one in mind if i have any more trouble.

very many thanks................steve.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Smile Re: connection prob's

Tools>Internet Options>Connections - Place a dot in never dial a connection

File>Work offline(make sure theres not a tick next to it)

You shouldnt get any more messages asking you to connect now but if that was only happening a few times per session then it was probably asking you to connect when your sky connection wasnt available(maybe a setup issue).

Best of luck, Misfit96

Thanks

the white box only says broadband connection so i presume that is o/k?.
      Did you have a USB modem or maybe with AOL previously? Unless you have a dial up connection you want to keep, the box should be empty, so take Paul's advice, highlight it and click remove. Also have a look in the Add/Remove list and if there is anything there referring to your previous ISP, uninstall it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi tom
      i have had no more disconnections,therefore no morereconnection problems...cheers mate.
      i have removed the "broadband connection" in the white box,,the box is now empty.
      yes i was previously with aol,and i tried to remove "aol toolbar"but was told "can't open INSTALL.LOG file" so i left it.i then clicked on" aol uninstaller" but was told it will need to do a scan to find "a complete list of aol software" .should i leave things as they are or is it really necessary to clear these items?
      very many thanks................steve.

Thanks

To many AOL is nothing more than an insidious virus which pollutes every PC it touches. Like all good virus, it is difficult to get rid of, burying entries deep in the Registry. If you have removed as much as you can using the Add/Remove list, then you could try RevoUninstaller This is one of the best cleaners available, certainly among the truly free ones. As with all applications that make changes to the Registry you must use it carefully and create a System Restore point as well as exporting your Registry to a backup file.

Whether you use this is up to you, unnecessary files and Registry entries in your PC will slow it down and can lead to seemingly unrelated problems. You may find you have a lot more unnecessary files on your PC than you think.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast