Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Netgear Knightmare

This is a discussion on A Netgear Knightmare within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, Hope somebody might be able to help. I've been on Sky broadband now for a little over a ...

timwintle1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kidsgrove
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

A Netgear Knightmare

Hi Guys,

Hope somebody might be able to help. I've been on Sky broadband now for a little over a year. I have recently noticed internet speed becoming an issue. On doing a test on Speedtest.net and also Sky Broadband speed test (available through Sky User) I am getting a downstream of between 1000 and 1500 kb/s.

I am on the broadband mid package and so was aware that this should be somewhere closer to the 8000 mark (though I know this depends on your distance from the exchange).

After waiting a few days to see if it fixed its-self, I rang Sky who gave me some advice about making sure the microfilter was in the primary phone socket and that it was a new micro filter I was using as they tend to get kicked etc etc.....

Listened to their advice and did what they said, wasn't shocked to see that there was no difference in the speed of my broadband. Rang them up again and they tweaked my phone line which was set to about 3 megabit to receive 6.6 (this is apparently the maximum my line will take). Was advised to wait 10 minutes and all would be happy in the land of browse. Nope!

I have the Netgear DG834GT wireless router and am using a desktop pc with a Belkin wireless USB dongle and also a laptop with inbuilt LAN card, both of which are getting consistantly poor results. So, what have I tried so far?

Tried switching it off and on, in time-honoured tradition, no joy.
      Tried changing the channel of the router from 6 to 1 to 11, 3 and 13. no joy.
      Tried to upgrade the firmware of the router only to learn that I can't.
      Tried turning TCP/IP 6 off in Vista to speed things up. No joy.
      Tried tweaking the TCP/IP settings using various applications, still No Joy.

I'm now out of ideas. The stats from my router are below:

Account Name
      Firmware Version V1.03.87

ADSL Port
      MAC Address 00:18:4D:xx:xx:xx
      IP Address xx.xxx.xx.xx
      Network Type PPPoA
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
      Gateway IP Address xx.xx.xxx.xxx
      Domain Name Server xx.xxx.xxx.xx
      xx.xxx.xxx.xx

LAN Port
      MAC Address 00:18:4D:5C:CA:66
      IP Address xxx.xxx.x.x
      DHCP On
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023b.d20e
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 6528 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 320 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Wireless Port
      Name (SSID) SKY13826
      Region Europe
      Channel 6
      Wireless AP Enabled
      Broadcast Name Enabled

MY LINE INFORMATION:
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 8593 9699 0 1665 7178 00:18:27
      LAN 10M/100M 1262 0 0 239 0 00:19:13
      WLAN 11M/54M 11651 10886 0 7518 2007 00:19:05

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6528 kbps 320 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.0 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 14.0 db

Please somebody help me. I just want to get a wireless connection somewhere close to what my router is receiving.

Many thanks in advance for your Help.
      Tim

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: A Netgear Knightmare

Unfortunately you have mentioned the word "wireless" with "good speed", wireless will never give you a great connection compared to wired.

You mention that you have tried moving channel, have you tried all 13 channels as it may be you are in a congested area and you may only get 1 decent channel.

Also does your wireless driver come with software that not only shows signal strength but also noise levels (such as the dell wi-fi cards) as it will be better to take a weaker signal that has less noise on it.

Also do you get a decent connection if you connect via the ethernet cable as if not there may be a problem with your PC.

Also if you do get a decent connection wired and your in a wireless congested area it may be better to invest in some powerline homeplugs and make the switch to wired,

I have completely dumped wireless in my house as I could see 6 other wireless routers from my laptop and I am also using 8 other devices that all take space in the 2.4 GHz bandwidth that wireless sits in.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

blondejon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exeter Castle Street
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Agreed with the above, home plug is the way to go. SCAN were recently selling a pair of 85mb plugs for 29 the pair, now thats a great deal and surely worth a dabble

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

"I have completely dumped wireless in my house as I could see 6 other wireless routers from my laptop.............."

Consider yourself lucky -- I can see 33 and a new one has just appeared that is more powerful than the signal between rooms in our flat. It's only two channels away so we lose connection regularly. Bet the b*stard has it sat right next to his computer in a bedsit !

Thanks to ISPs who bundle free wireless and users who just assume it's obligatory, it looks like wireless is over -- at least in urban areas.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

It's not just in urban areas, at the moment I am at the bottom of our long garden having a coffee in the potting shed (I should be sorting my gadening tools for the winter but never mind) and I can find six unsecure networks rolling in from god knows where. I laid a network cable to the shed.

timwintle1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kidsgrove
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

I haven't tried it with a cable yet - thats gonna be my next step. However its gonna have to be one heck of a length of cable to get from my computer to the router.

I am not in a "noisy" wireless area. I can see a grand total of 1 wireless network. That's mine. Probably helps that I live near a bunch of old people. Not saying that old people dont have internet, but they "tend" not to.

Anyway, spoke to Sky again today (they rang me) and they're going to send me a new router to see if that fixes the problem. Watch this space.....I dont think it will.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timwintle1979 View Post
      I haven't tried it with a cable yet - thats gonna be my next step. However its gonna have to be one heck of a length of cable to get from my computer to the router.

I am not in a "noisy" wireless area. I can see a grand total of 1 wireless network. That's mine. Probably helps that I live near a bunch of old people. Not saying that old people dont have internet, but they "tend" not to.

Anyway, spoke to Sky again today (they rang me) and they're going to send me a new router to see if that fixes the problem. Watch this space.....I dont think it will.
      Carefull with the "old people" jibe time will creep up on you quicker than you think

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just because you cannot see any wireless networks in your area it doesn't necesarily mean there aren't any. Not everyone broadcasts their SSID.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Just because you cannot see any wireless networks in your area it doesn't necesarily mean there aren't any. Not everyone broadcasts their SSID.
      Also the 2.4 GHz band isn't just reserved for wi-fi all wireless devices will sit in this band which includes, doorbells, central heating thermostats, video senders, wireless speakers etc etc etc

As I said above I have 8 wireless devices at my house all which sit in this band.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      I laid a network cable to the shed.
      I assume this was routed outside. I am currently looking for some External Grade Cat5 to run on the outside of the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast