Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A Netgear Knightmare

This is a discussion on A Netgear Knightmare within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Yes it is, It is armoured underground cable that was laid at the same time as the power line to ...

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: A Netgear Knightmare

Yes it is, It is armoured underground cable that was laid at the same time as the power line to the shed. If you Google external cat5e you should find some. My 20 metres was donated by a grateful employer

2. Advertisement
      AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: A Netgear Knightmare

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      "I have completely dumped wireless in my house as I could see 6 other wireless routers from my laptop.............."

Consider yourself lucky -- I can see 33 and a new one has just appeared that is more powerful than the signal between rooms in our flat. It's only two channels away so we lose connection regularly. Bet the b*stard has it sat right next to his computer in a bedsit !

Thanks to ISPs who bundle free wireless and users who just assume it's obligatory, it looks like wireless is over -- at least in urban areas.
      If you're using a wireless network in a flat, why not use a 5Ghz 802.11a access point ? Ok devices that use 5Ghz band have lower power output and therefore less range, but unless you're trying to get a signal through a thick supporting wall, you should be ok within the flat itself. There are quite a few dual-band 2.4/5Ghz draft N-Type bundles available now from Linksys/Netgear/Buffalo .etc
      If you're feeling really evil, you could setup a 5Ghz channel for yourself and set the 2.4Ghz channel to match your new wireless neighbour's to return the favour !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12