Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New kid on the block

This is a discussion on New kid on the block within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everybody.Am presently still on dial-up and during the last few days have read with interest the posts on this ...

StevieBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Reading
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

New kid on the block

Hi everybody.Am presently still on dial-up and during the last few days have read with interest the posts on this forum.It seems that there are certainly alot of indifferent opinions regarding the merits of Sky Broadband.
      And for the record I have spent the last few weeks researching the different ISP's and their individual credentials.
      Therefore having carried out what I feel to be extensive groundwork I took the plunge today and ordered the mid package from Sky.
      I am most definitely not a Sky employee and therefore over the next few days will be able to give a totally impartial update on events, as and when they happen.
      My personal opinion is that it would be very easy to take a negative view and, having read a couple of associated forums,some people are very disillusioned with the company and their progress to date.I say some because there are those who appear to have received a satisfactory service.
      Anyway I will most definitely report it as it is - so for those who are considering or otherwise 'watch this space.....'

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Welcome to the site StevieBoy

I like your approach to finding an ISP and though there has been a lot of negative posts on this and no doubt many other forums but thats always par for the course, there are a lot of happy SkyBB users even some of the more vocal ones have changed there attitudes once they have been connected.

Good luck with your order and I hope it goes smoothly for you.
      Last edited by Wheelie; 24-09-06 at 01:48 PM.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wink New kid on the block

Thanks Ray for your welcoming comments.
      I do have some questions at this early stage if that's okay.
      Firstly I'm intending to keep my dial-up connection until broadband is up and running.Am I right in saying that because it is dial-up that it will not cause any conflict with the setting up of broadband when the equipment arrives? I'm thinking it could be wise to keep dial-up until broadband is established.
      Also when the Sky CD arrives is it essential to have to use this during the setting up process?I read somewhere that there are certain files that can prove difficult to remove if looking to uninstall at any time in the future.
      Lastly, how and when will I be able to keep tabs on my order through BT?
      Thanking you and anybody else,in advance,who may be able to help with my queries.Apologies if these topics have been covered previously but I'm just looking to gain some clarity on these issues.

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Hi and welcome
      there should be no problem keeping the dial up connection until your bband arrvies.
      with regards to the cd, this is not essential for getting your bband working ans as such is not realy needed, unless you want the shortcuts etc and mcafee

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      No reason for it to cause a problem with the router but it will cause you problems with the Sky TV box if that is connected to a phone point and I would keep the dial-up going and even once you are connected leave it in place as backup.

There is no reason to use the CD that I know of though its got a great presintation on how to connect the router so unless you want to allow it to change or update your IE with the SkyBB one on the CD or use the mcafee security software apart from that it just adds a couple of links to the desktop one for the SkyBB site and a help file.

Yes you can keep tabs on it with the BT checker here Order tracking: Landline orders
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Ray and theg33k for your assistance.The link I was referring to in respect of the CD was this one www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?p=2452.So I'll be interested to know your views.I won't be getting an engineer to assist with the set up so I guess the CD would prove useful.Have you got any tips or things that may prove useful during the setting up process.A bloke I know said that if you don't want Sky's interface stuff it's best to plug the modem in before putting the CD in.Does this make sense or not?
      Also in respect of BT's tracking service am I right in thinking that order no.,username and password should all come through from Sky by e-mail during the next few days?

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Hi Stevie, you need your BT account number to register for order tracking, there is a sticky on the main BB forum with a how to guide.

As far as setting up the router goes yes you just need to plug it in wand connect the wires. It comes with a set up booklet and it is very straight forward!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Yep hugsie is correct
      Ray

click here

Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah cheers Hugsie and yourself Ray.As a matter of interest what were your views on the link that I included in my last post re.the pcdoctor and sky by broadband?Or am I getting confused with a different part of Sky altogether.Cheers in advance.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Sorry forgot to say thats not the same product though it can be a little confusing

That skybybroadband is for Sky subscribers to download films Sky TV have in a huge database goto sky.com for more info on it.
      Ray

click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast