Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting sky support to listen to a fault.

This is a discussion on Getting sky support to listen to a fault. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi GUys I`ve been with sky for BB now for about a year now and its been pretty good. I ...

kopite42 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Getting sky support to listen to a fault.

Hi GUys

I`ve been with sky for BB now for about a year now and its been pretty good. I should also explain that I work for Zen internet and deal with DSL faults everyday so I know a bit about what causes faults.

I had an issue earlier in the year where I couldnt Auth so i emailed them with the diagnostics code and told them I had sync but hadnt been able to auth and asked if there was any outage in the area(I`d looked on easynet and seen there was a pop down) They emailed me back asking if the router had sync so I guess I should have seen the warning signs there.

The past few weeks we have been having a lot of static on the phone line which is only there when the router is plugged in. When we pick the phone up it also causes the BB to drop. I have a pile of routers at home so Tried a draytek 2600, Speedtouch 585 and a Fritxbox as well as the origina sky router on the line. Suffice to say the problem occured with all routers. I have an ADSL nation faceplate on my line so I unscrewede that and tried 3 different makes of filters(gotta be thorough ) also tried the dect phones on the line as well as an analogue phone as well.
      WIth all this done I was sure that the fault was on the line and Also pretty confident that its a high resistance fault.
      Rang BT first just to get a phone line check and they said the line looks ok from their POV.

Rang SKy and spoke to their tech support. to start with I didnt mention I work for an ISP as it annoyed the hell out of me when ppl come on the line telling me how to do my job. I explained the problem, Advised them of all the equipment I had tried and they said they`d raise a fault. They put me through to their second line team. I explained again what was happening and what I had tried. He told me that the line was set on a high profile and had a long delay which would be causing the fault. They lowered my speed and lowered the delay. I asked if he really thought making changes to the speed would make a difference to the noise and he said yes. I let him get on with it and the noise was still there. He told me he would raise the fault to BT. I said at this point that it looks like its a high resistance fault so it would be an idea to let BT know that when they raise it as it should speed things up. he didnt seem very interested in my opinion and said I should have an update in 72 hours.

Now working for Zen I know that BT usually give an update back within 8 hours so I left it a couple of days anyway just to make sure they had time to raise it etc. Rang back yesterday morning and spoke to the 1st line who said that my fault was an intermittent fault and said they would pass me through to the 2nd line team. They passed me through The person on the phone went through all the tests again Running line tests. I rang on the house phone so they could hear the noise (its very loud crackling popping and whistling) he said his headset was crackling so he couldnt hear any other noise. I asked if they had received anything back from BT yet and he said that BT systems where down so the fault hadnt been reported.
      I told him I worked for zen internet and have been dealing with DSL faults for over 4 years. I told him the fault looks to be a High resistance fault and it will need BT to investigate it to get it resolved. He again seemed to pay little attention to this and said he would get it raised to BT and they would call me within 48 hours.

I rang back yesterday morning as the phone line is unusable now unless the router is unplugged. I got through to the second line who said that the fault hasnt been raised to BT yet and its with their 3rd line team to investigate further. He read the notes and asked me to plug into the test socket. I told him i was in an SSFP and did he really think plugging into the test socket with another filter was going to make a difference even after all the stuff I had already told them. He said yes so I had a screw driver to hand anyway and had phone on my mobile(I know the tricks ) Unplugged the ssfp plugged a filter into the test and plugged the router in. he said the line had synced up and the SNR looks fine. i told him again what happens picked up the phone and as usual the line was making loads of noise. I told him its a high resistance fault The problem has beeen getting worse as the weather has got worse. They need to get BT to check the line as there could be an exposed bit of cable or something which is causing the line to drop out. He told me that the escalations team would be ringing me later today and I should let them know what I think it is.
      Today I ring back again and Speak to second line again. They said they`d call the 3rd line team and put me on hold. On hold for about 15 minutes. they came back every couple of minutes to make sure I was ok to hold. Then they said theres no answer and they would call them back in an hour and call me. This was about 10 am and still nothing.

I`m starting to lose hope now. Does anyone have any idea how to get the support ppl to get this progressed. I am almost positve as to what the fault is but They dont seem to be doing anything to resolve it no matter what I say

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Getting sky support to listen to a fault.

If the ticket is opened then its being progressed and you need to be patient. Yes it's annoying if you know what the fault is but if you work for an ISP you also know that procedures must be followed and people will be disciplined for not doing that.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I agree with you about the line fault (HR or not it is a line fault) What I am going to suggest is risky as it could land you with a call-out charge, but if you handle this right it may see an end to your problems.
      I would sync the router, and call BT to report a noisy line, dont mention BB and don't tell them the router is on. This should result in a visit from Openreach and now will be the time to come clean with the Openreach tech and beg/bribe with tea coffee, whatever it takes to get them to check the line for faults, if it's overhead line then 9 times out of ten it's at the pole.
      As I say this is a risky ploy but it may just work if you get the right bloke. Good luck with it

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I can understand things taking time paul but I rang on monday and was assured it was getting raised to BT. SInce then I`ve been told the BT systems where down, The fault is not going to bt yet as it needs to be checked by escalations who would be ringing back the same day and then today promised a call back that never happened.

I have rang back now and got put through to the escalations team. They have booked an LL5 engineer for me so hopefully things will be moving now.

I guess the problem is that I do work for another ISP where support seems to be a lot more important. If a fault has been open for a week and nothing done on it there would have been trouble.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The systems linking into part of the BT systems were down at start of the week but I don't know if these were the systems needed. Normally escalation is done within 72 hours but this time frame has been slipping of late and to be honest I don't think there is an excuse for it, if CST are busy then Sky need to employ more people and get them trained and in position.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

WEll the engineer came out this morning agreed that it was a high resistance fault. He put HAWK on the line and could see the probem about 3-400 metres down the line. WEnt to the green cab and it was fine there so went to DP between the cab and my house and Found the problem. Fixed the DIs and my line is now clear and the BB is syncing up at 2.5 meg agaiin

SO I`m happy to be back on line. Bit miffed that I told the person at the start of last week what the issue was but it took them a week to get an engineer out.

I guess for cheap BB I shouldnt Complain

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

this is why Zen get awards for support year after year!! as all your services are BTW you're all trained in it 100%, Sky's support isn't...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Zen do have a large chunk of their customers on BTW but there are some customers on LLU so staff have to know about the nuances of that.

Also Zen customers can use any router they want so a basic knowledge of router configuration is needed as well as being able to set up routed and NAT connections On routers Zen SUpport fully.

THen there is the fact that Zen also do Email support, Hosting support(for linux and WIndows hosting) Support for VOIP products that Zen now do, Zen vault support(onlien backup solution)

See Zen might have the majority of customers on BTW but there is a lot of other knowledge that the Zen support staff have. To say the reason that Zen support win Awards year after year because the majority of their customers are on BTW does the SUpport staff a huge disservice

Nearly forgot that Zen also support newsgroups, and offer basic help on VPN setup as well as supporting LEased line customers.
      Last edited by kopite42; 08-12-08 at 06:35 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you know what i mean - i know full well it's not just that...

Sky support email too, so you can't use that one ...

out of interest, which of your home services are LLU - as your website doesn't list any (only BTW)...

if you're talking about business customers - then you can't compare Sky with Zen in that respect as Sky and Easynet are 2 different companies with completely different training...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

LLU is dependant on exchange.

THe exchanges with LLU on are in the northwest. If your connected to one of the LLU enabled exchanges then you`ll be on the LLU product. there are some speciality products available as follows:
      http://www.zen.co.uk/rochdale/BroadbandPlus.aspx

Our staff support both business and home services so need to know the type of issues that can arise from Both.

The leased Line`s are usually businesses but I have seen situations where they have been fitted in residential locations(wish I could afford that lol)

THe rest of the products supported by zen are all available to home users.

I think the problem I have is that Working for Zen I have very high expectations for support.
      I worked for Talk Talk business for a short time and that showed me have bad support can be. Part of the problem is ISP`s like zen where at the more expensive end of the market so support is a high priority.
      Sky, CPW and other comapanies entered the market at the low price end of the market where customer support was not put as a high priority to start with as Customers where after the service for free or as cheap as possible.

I know that sky are trying to change this and I hope they do the BB itself when working has been flawless its just this occasion where something has gone wrong and I knew what the issue was where I just felt that the support staff where unwilling to take on board the advice.
      Last edited by kopite42; 08-12-08 at 06:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast