Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Blue screen every time Router is turned on

This is a discussion on Blue screen every time Router is turned on within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've got the v2 Netgear (black, firmware V2.02.44) router and up till now I haven't had a problem. However, since ...

Ben04uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Blue screen every time Router is turned on

I've got the v2 Netgear (black, firmware V2.02.44) router and up till now I haven't had a problem. However, since this evening, everytime I turn on the router and it boots up, my computer blue screens (I'm currently in 'safe mode'). I've checked everything else, i.e. the wireless adapter, etc and it can only be the router that is causing my PC to bluescreen. The computer works fine without the router turned on.
      Can anyone suggest a way to fix this? I've spoken to Sky Broadband and they didn't help - other than say, change the ethernet cable. I definitely haven't got any viruses on my PC and beside, I only get the problem with the router is on - not at any other time.
      In my experience you tend to get a blue screen if you've got a driver problem when you've installed new hardware. As the router doesn't have a driver as such and I haven't recently it or anyone other hardware recently I am at a lost to think what the problem could be. It all works fine in 'Safe Mode' but I don't want to have to use 'safe mode' everytime I want to use the internet.
      Please help!

2. Advertisement
      krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Blue screen every time Router is turned on

Try another router to see if you get the same problem.
      If you do then you know it's likely going to be something on the computer.

If it doesn't then obviously it will be the router.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

More likely to be a windows issue than anything, in safe mode unless you choose it you don't go into safe mode with networking which means a lot of network protocols etc don't load up. Just because you haven't installed something recently it doesn't mean an update hasn't happened in the background or windows may have corrupted something.
      Have you tried a system restore? If it all works ok in Safe mode it's a very good possibility that it's PC based as it defaults to known safe drivers and mimimum startup items.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sounds like a network car issue.

I would roll back to the original drivers to start with, if that fails remove drivers, then reinstall.

Let us know how you get on.

Ben04uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

I've tried two different wireless adapters, one a Netgear adapter and one a Belkin one, and I had the same problem with both. So I don't see how it can be anything to do with the actual adapter but I shall try and roll back the driver on each of them to see if that helps.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Have you tried ethernet?

The only times I have known something like this to happen was a virus infection and with certain routers post-Sp3. What OS are you using?

You say the PC 'blue screens', what is the full error message given on the screen? This may point the way to the problem.

Check in your list of Windows updates to see if there was an update just previous to your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I think you need to establish if the problem exists with a LAN cable connection. If it does then the router is the problem. If it doesn't then the USB adaptor (or USB port) looks most likely. I have an old Netgear USB Adaptor that causes a BSD even if no drivers are installed - probably because the adaptor has gone faulty. However I know of people who have faulty USB ports that cause this problem with any adaptor.