Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HELP Please for a simpleton!

This is a discussion on HELP Please for a simpleton! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys, Im having problems with my wireless signal at home. The problem started about a week ago when my ...

franko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question HELP Please for a simpleton!

Hi Guys,

Im having problems with my wireless signal at home. The problem started about a week ago when my connection lost whilst upstairs, this had never happened before, i took my laptop downstairs and the signal then came back, now whenever i leave the room where the router is my connection becomes really weak then it loses connectivity. My connection is through WEP and i have a Railink Wireless LAN card which apparently should make the signal stonger?

I have rang Sky about this problem today and they basically didn't have a clue! Said it may be something to do with something else that may be wireless in the area that is causing my connection to become weak - What a load of tosh, my neighbour who has the same broadband hasn't had a problem and its a terraced house! I have tried moving the router to another part of the room, i have even started using a wired phone in case the wireless one was causing a problem.

Im not the best technically with computers, not sure what model my Router is (it's the white one, had it about a year). I have changed the channel on my router settings from 01 to 11 then to 06, no improvement.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      steesh2302 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0191
      Broadband ISP: VM 10Meg
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: VM V+ HD
      Thanks

Cool Re: HELP Please for a simpleton!

Have you tried changing your wireless setting in the router? Try Auto 108, or G & B etc

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: HELP Please for a simpleton!

Quote Originally Posted by steesh2302 View Post
      Have you tried changing your wireless setting in the router? Try Auto 108, or G & B etc
      Not tried that no, how do you do it? I can get into the router settings, where do i change it?

Edit - Think i have found it, its mode isn't it. it was on G&B i have changed to Auto 108

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
      Not tried that no, how do you do it? I can get into the router settings, where do i change it?

Edit - Think i have found it, its mode isn't it. it was on G&B i have changed to Auto 108
      Nope still loses connection when i try browsing a web site.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If this does not work, set the channel to 13 and the mode to 'g only'. You have a 54g adapter and will get no benefit from 108.

If you are using the adapters management software, you could try using the Windows Manager. To do this go to Control panel >Networking or Network Connections , right click on your wireless adapter and select Properties, tick the box that says " Allow Windows to manage my wireless connections " Close out and reboot. This applies to XP if you are using Vista, the procedure is different.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If this does not work, set the channel to 13 and the mode to 'g only'. You have a 54g adapter and will get no benefit from 108.

If you are using the adapters management software, you could try using the Windows Manager. To do this go to Control panel >Networking or Network Connections , right click on your wireless adapter and select Properties, tick the box that says " Allow Windows to manage my wireless connections " Close out and reboot. This applies to XP if you are using Vista, the procedure is different.

The box is already ticked, would i have the same problem with another provider, like Orange or something?

gfa2f is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The problem is probably the signal itself.

Walls, doors, metal, wood, concrete, and even water can block wireless signals.

Sky tech was completely right in saying that there may be another signal interfering. Bluetooth, ps3/ wii controllers, cordless fones, microwaves, and even certain computers all run on the almost the same frequency that wireless does.

A post above suggested changing to chan 13. Each of the chans run on a slighty different frequency, so try each and every one. If you have the same issue, then sorry, I just dont think wireless is the connection solution for you.

So, yes, you would have the same issue with another provider.

I would suggest using an ethernet cable, and if you would like to keep mobility, consider homeplugs. HomePlug and Powerline - from 24 - easy home / office networks Share broadband

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

As far as i am aware sky broadband on runs on channels 1,6,11 which is why they asked you to try those when you phoned sky. I may be wrong but that is what i was taught when training to work for sky tech support.

Best of luck, Misfit96

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The problem is between your PC and the router. If you went to a different ISP and used a different router, it is possible things would be better. The change to another ISP would not be the cause, only the change of equipment and there is no guarantee that this would solve your problem.

I suggested using channel 13 as this is one of the non-overlapping channels in UK. As you had already tried 1,6 and 11, this is the one most likely to give a result. Sky were not talking tosh when they suggested another source was interfering. This is quite common and with the proliferation of wireless products it is becoming worse. There is every chance that your neighbour's router is causing your problem. If you are on good terms with him/her you could ask them to turn it off for a period to allow you to test yours. You might even be able to borrow their router and test it in your house. You would not need to connect to the internet, just plug it in and see if you can connect to it from the various parts of your house.

I endorse the previous posters comments about homeplug, it is faster more secure and more reliable than wireless.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gfa2f View Post
      The problem is probably the signal itself.

Walls, doors, metal, wood, concrete, and even water can block wireless signals.

Sky tech was completely right in saying that there may be another signal interfering. Bluetooth, ps3/ wii controllers, cordless fones, microwaves, and even certain computers all run on the almost the same frequency that wireless does.

A post above suggested changing to chan 13. Each of the chans run on a slighty different frequency, so try each and every one. If you have the same issue, then sorry, I just dont think wireless is the connection solution for you.

So, yes, you would have the same issue with another provider.

I would suggest using an ethernet cable, and if you would like to keep mobility, consider homeplugs. HomePlug and Powerline - from 24 - easy home / office networks Share broadband
      It just doesnt add up though, last week it worked fine. The problem has only just started and i have not bought any other wireless equipment, even when the ethernet cable is plugged in the connection is sometimes lost. My neighbour has exactly the same broadband and he isnt having any problems at all as we are in terraced houses if there was another signal interferring then surely it would also effect him. I have been connected to the internet wireless 2 meters away from the router and the signal is still poor!
      Last edited by franko; 01-12-08 at 03:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast