Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

HELP Please for a simpleton!

This is a discussion on HELP Please for a simpleton! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As far as i am aware sky broadband on runs on channels 1,6,11 Sky should train you a bit better ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: HELP Please for a simpleton!

As far as i am aware sky broadband on runs on channels 1,6,11
      Sky should train you a bit better then, these are the only channels in use in USA, where 12 and 13 and reserved for other uses. This does not apply in UK and most of Europe.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      I may be wrong but that is what i was taught when training to work for sky tech support.
      Well hopefully they've stopped teaching that as it is wrong (no offense to you intended).

Someone who wrote the training at Sky obviously read something about non overlapping wireless channels. The problem is they didn't notice or realise that what they read was written with a US user in mind.

In the UK we use 13 wireless channels unlike the US which uses 11. Therefore, in the UK, the non overlapping channels are 1, 7 and 13.

Whilst trying those channels first is a good start, it only needs 3 other wireless users in the vicinity, spread across the available spectrum to mean there's no "clear" channel available. Also, wireless interference from other users is only one factor. Wireless interference from other radio emitting devices is just as big a problem. This includes things such as fluorescent lighting, some flat panel TV/monitors, baby alarms, video senders, microwave ovens and so on.

Edit: must learn to type faster

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by franko View Post
      It just doesnt add up though, last week it worked fine.
      Don't suppose you've just put up Christmas lights have you? Big problem this time of year for wireless connections.

franko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Don't suppose you've just put up Christmas lights have you? Big problem this time of year for wireless connections.
      No christmas lights up!

It's only 1st December!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

^^^^^^^^^
      You obviously have not been down or towns main street.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

franko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Looks like plug ins are the answer then. Can anyone recommend which ones to buy, had a quick look at the site but no idea which ones to get.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No christmas lights up!
      It's only 1st December!!
      I'm with you there. We don't put ours up until the 20th or so. It's amazing how many people kit their house out a month in advance though

gfa2f is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It just doesnt add up though, last week it worked fine. The problem has only just started and i have not bought any other wireless equipment, even when the ethernet cable is plugged in the connection is sometimes lost. My neighbour has exactly the same broadband and he isnt having any problems at all as we are in terraced houses if there was another signal interferring then surely it would also effect him. I have been connected to the internet wireless 2 meters away from the router and the signal is still poor!
      Back to the chans again, if your neighbour is on chan 13, and so are you, your machine will get "confused". change the chans, as they all work on 2.4ghz, and 1-13 are like 2.41ghz, 2.42ghz etc (not exactly but only as an example).

Same way, your neighbour has a new cordless fone, working on the same frequency as what your router is sending out. Tada, same issue.

To be honest, theres a million reasons why wireless wouldnt work.

if you try changing them first, then get back to us, we can try something else.

To the other guys, when sky trains agents, the agents are told that the router comes as default with chan 1, 6, 11 active, not that those are the only chans available.

Edit: any homeplug would do, go for the cheapest, but remember! you need at least 2 to make a connection.

dt101187 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Said it may be something to do with something else that may be wireless in the area that is causing my connection to become weak - What a load of tosh, my neighbour who has the same broadband hasn't had a problem and its a terraced house!

wireless can be affect by anything wireless inc ur next door neighbours wireless or the wireless cameras on buses, sounds like range problem u can get signal bosters and plug them into the router or alternitivly u could call sky and say ur router is faulty the easyest way to do this is to say that ur power light is off then no matter wat u do it wont come on, but that would be fraudulent.......

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dt101187 View Post
      Said it may be something to do with something else that may be wireless in the area that is causing my connection to become weak - What a load of tosh, my neighbour who has the same broadband hasn't had a problem and its a terraced house!

wireless can be affect by anything wireless inc ur next door neighbours wireless or the wireless cameras on buses, sounds like range problem u can get signal bosters and plug them into the router or alternitivly u could call sky and say ur router is faulty the easyest way to do this is to say that ur power light is off then no matter wat u do it wont come on, but that would be fraudulent.......
      Yeah but what would he do if he gets the new router and still not able to connect ?

Are you able to see any networks ?
      What Os you using ? Xp Vista Or Mac
      Also what make wireless are you using ?
      What make router do you have ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast