Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a last resort..............

This is a discussion on This is a last resort.............. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Brian69 I haven't got much to add. Tom is right, the way to solve this wiring problem ...

Hopeful is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation Re: This is a last resort..............

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      I haven't got much to add. Tom is right, the way to solve this wiring problem is to feed all extensions from the master. The incomming line should connect to the A and B terminals and not to any extensions.
      Courtesy of BT, I am not allowed to tamper with those wires and that still does not solve all the other issues with Sky that I have!" I went through all the right channels at Sky before posting here, they just do not care!

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: This is a last resort..............

No you are not supposed to tamper with those wires, but at least you know where the problem is, and you could get Openreach (BT eng division, if you like) to sort it for you.
      It's not so much that Sky dont care but if the problems are due to your internal wiring what are they to do? there only recourse is to capp your speed untill the line is stable

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The problem is not my wiring the problems happened after sky 'modified' my line!
      I only had problems AFTER they started tampering with my BB.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am not sure about this, Brian will know, but I believe BTO have started installing NTE5 boxes externally. Would yours be one of these? Brian is an ex BTO engineer and knows what he is talking about, you should take his advice.

I am sure most of us here sympathise with you, but just agreeing with you that Sky support is not much good, will not help, hence the suggestions. As I said earlier, your line is getting as much speed as it can take, you are not capped, so Sky have little to do with your broadband speed problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

^^^^^ only on new builds Tom and not everywhere yet. It's such a pity that BT did not go for external units when the new sockets were introduced, then all this hassel of what is network wiring and what is not would not have occured. Anyway from the last thread it is clear that the wiring needs attention, and I do sympathise with Hopeful and anyone who has to deal with any ISP with a problem.
      Last edited by Brian69; 29-11-08 at 05:32 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

It is not Skys end it is yours, until you accept that and take the advice on here there is little anyone can do, jumping up and down wrongly accusing Sky won't help, they may have their faults but nobody should expect them to turn up and rewire peoples houses.

Your sync speed is as good as it gets for your stats, until you improve them the speed will either stay as it is or could even get worse as the line deteriorates.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Re: This is a last resort..............

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      jumping up and down wrongly accusing Sky won't help, they may have their faults but nobody should expect them to turn up and rewire peoples houses.
      I am NOT jumping up and down! I DID not ask anyone to turn up and rewire my house either, you sound just like the SKY CS persons that I spoke to today!

When my router is plugged into the downstairs socket my speed and stats are much better but its not a MASTER socket.
      I did not build or wire this house I moved into it new build and the line was not even installed they had to run it from the street to the house, I did not have BB then, if I knew that it would have ben a problem I would have asked them to change the socket then and there.

If you are going to offer useful unbiased advise then its welcome, but do not post accusations that are not true!

Thanks

O.k Hopeful, how do you feel about a bit of DIY rewiring?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
      The problem is not my wiring the problems happened after sky 'modified' my line!
      I only had problems AFTER they started tampering with my BB.
      It seems that this accusation regarding Sky is untrue

Unless a Sky engineer came out and altered the wiring, they have done nothing to cause the problem you now have.

Until you either fix the wiring yourself or get BT to do it your stats will not improve and neither will your speed or disconnections, Brian has talked plenty of people through doing exactly what you need to do and although you are not meant to officially do it, many do.

I am not having a go but you seem to be ignoring the true problem here Sky are not the answer they can not really do anything without calling in BT and you may incur a charge.

Listen to Brian, he is god when it comes to this sort of thing.

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Thanks

sky are not angels we all know that... no one is perfect

but i believe that you can either take brians advice... as he helped me alot when i first joined here... and we got things sorted in 4 weeks.... until DLM buggered things up but thats another chapter...

or get lucky and get that one person from sky that knows what they are doing... many are members on here... but i do have symphony with "hopeful" as you do get some very abrupt people on the other end of the phone!

good luck in sorting this out..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast