Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Speed half of sync rate

This is a discussion on Speed half of sync rate within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My router is currently synced at 12720kbps and generally drops out every now and then to sync higher or lower ...

Dazza115 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Speed half of sync rate

My router is currently synced at 12720kbps and generally drops out every now and then to sync higher or lower (ive seen it sync upto 15mb and as low as about 11mb depending on time of day etc which are huge variations but i dont mind).

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12720 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25 db 6 db
      Noise Margin 8 db 12 db

Generally I used to be able to download at the equivalent to what i was connected at, usually around 1.3megs which was great but over the course of the last week ive rarely seen anything come down at much higher than 800K.
      Right now im averaging 760K off newsgroups which is around half of what i used to get. The speed does vary quite a bit, i had a period of full speed last night for about a minute before it tailed off again.
      Im not sure what times of day may make a difference as i rarely have anything coming down, usually on the xbox or whatever but when i do try and grab heroes or whatever im not able to grab it as quick as before which is frustrating when im paying the extra to make use of the additional speed.
      I have checked in the morning and around 10pm, but both times were roughly the same and i didnt expect to see this type of throttling (thats what it looks like, the speed varies, but for the most part is consistantly around the average).

It doesnt seem like DLM as i would expect the sync rate to drop accordingly, it feels more like the exchange is saturated or something, but for the speed graph to be this flat is a little odd. Any insight into this would be most helpful.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Speed half of sync rate

Is this on ethernet or wireless? Also if you are seeing loss and re-acquirement of synch you need to find the background cause or it will keep on happening. Are you on your main socket, filters on all sockets in use, Sky tv filtered etc?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yea, its main socket, ethernet, as i said the resyncing aint the problem, its maybe once or twice a day and has very little impact, although it would be nice to stop it fluctuating so much, it must change by 10db or more during the course of each day. Everything is filtered, theres only 2 phones on the line both of which are filtered.
      When i say ethernet, i mean the connection goes through the electric which has led me onto unplugging everything between the router and this pc. Managed to find what was causing the issues, someone had plugged a lamp in beside where the ethernet connector was and for some reason it was interfearing. I hadnt even thought of doing that, didnt think a simple lamp would cause any sort of problem with the signal through the electric...

It's just typical that no sooner do I complain that i find what the issue is. Guess the topic can be closed.
      Last edited by Dazza115; 28-11-08 at 04:36 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

That is an interesting find. I have not come across this or seen it reported before in connection with homeplug circuits. Was this just an ordinary lamp or did it have a power saver bulb fitted? I did read somewhere that these could effect video senders, but I don't know if that is true or just a theory.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It was just an ordinary table lamp, dont think there was a special bulb in it but its definately the culprit. I've had surge protectors do similar things but this is just in an ordinary power strip which has the router and another pc in it, neither of which have caused this issue.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Homeplug manufacturers recommend plugging these direct into the wall outlet for best performance, but as you say, they can and do work with an ordinary power extension. Will store this away in the grey cells for future reference. Thanks for passing on your findings.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Power savers have been known to interfer and some customers think I'm mad when I ask if there are any lamps plugged in near the routers but there you go. One day they will come up with a fool proof 100% reliable wireless.

dt101187 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

"ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Noise Margin 8 db 12 db"

noise margins are too low both on ds and us
      remove every thing from all phone sockets and change the microfilter also try test socket if you have one may be the router also more than likely is line or the way that it is configured.

Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Hello folks,

dt101187 posted that the noise margins are to low i would not say this ,
      but i would say they are to close to each other ,

I would not worrie about a snr level until it drops lower than 5 on the downstream and lower that the downstream on the upstream !

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Noise Margin 8 db 12 db

What i would say is make sure the Sky Tv is removed from the line
      This some times can cause errors to form on the line if the modem on the digi box is not working 100 %

But if this done not work i would have to have your line speed droped a bit,
      I would ask for 11548K down 612 Up with a snr of 9 to be set on the upload .