Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Just after some advice.....

This is a discussion on Just after some advice..... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, I have been with Sky Max broadband for a good few months now and am very pleased with ...

WelshBoa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Glantawe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Just after some advice.....

Hi All,

I have been with Sky Max broadband for a good few months now and am very pleased with everything so far except for the delay when joining.

I have a general question which is this:

Before I went onto Sky I had purchased a Wireless router which is a Belkin 125Mbps which I am assuming is generally better than the one Sky send out. That said as I am very rarely using the wireless capabilities of it, the Sky Sagem is doing ok.

i am thinking of getting a media streamer to go from my PC to the HDTV and am wondering how the Sagem performs? It is only a hop across to another room but cant help thinking the Belkin is better equipped.

The point I am leading up to is when I install the Belkin it has preloaded details for the various ISP's but not for Sky. I'm sure there is somewhere on these forums where I can get these details though to go along with my SSID & Network key. Just a bit reluctant to stop using the Sky modem incase it starts playing up with the belkin?

Incidentally these were the speeds I was getting with Sky Max when just tried the beta speed tester

Your download speed is 11760Kbps. That is 5936Kbps above the average for your package

Your upload speed is 610Kbps. That is 108Kbps above the average for your package

Are these figures pretty decent? I know it says above average and I have seen the download speed hit 15000Kbps which I think is incredible for phone line broadband.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT

Re: Just after some advice.....

When I do speedtests I usually get around the same as you, but in the real world when downloading I max my line at 16Mb. If you are using wireless you will more than likely do better with a wire.

I personally would use Homeplugs to connect your streamer to the HDTV as you will be sending quite a bit of info which could quite easily flood the connection ang give poor results, this would also cure the wireless bottleneck problems you may be getting.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,587 Posts

Re: Just after some advice.....

As you say your Belkin should have a much better wireless performance than the Sagem. There is nothing to stop you using it, apart from the T & Cs. If you do have connection problems at any time, which required Sky support, you would have to reconnect your Sagem or Sky will not talk to you. Follow the links in this part of the forum to obtain the details you need to use your own router.
      If you are not comfortable breaking the T & Cs it is perfectly possible to connect your Belkin to the Sagem by ethernet to make use of it's superior wireless.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.