Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Connecting at very slow speeds on Connect

This is a discussion on Connecting at very slow speeds on Connect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by kev25 When its being throttled should the speed in the router stats drop! No, only the download ...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Connecting at very slow speeds on Connect

Quote Originally Posted by kev25 View Post
      When its being throttled should the speed in the router stats drop!
      No, only the download speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      miracleboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Been watching Youtube for the last hour and bang hit 5pm and it stops working, like clockwork. I can understand if they need to stop people using P2P during peak hours, but to stop using Youtube that's basically denial of service.

Can't wait until July when my 12 months is up and I'm gone, Sky by far the worst BB provider I've had out of half a dozen.

miracleboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

And this from their traffic management policy is just completely untrue;

"There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times."

Streaming is absolutely affected, before 5pm it works fine - between 5pm-12am it doesnt work at all.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miracleboy View Post
      I can understand if they need to stop people using P2P during peak hours, but to stop using Youtube that's basically denial of service.
      They don't actually single out programmes, the lack of capacity means that anything that requires bandwidth it will suffer, some more than others and certain exchanges seem to be worse hit.

I wonder if they are limiting the bandwidth on every BT exchange for Sky customers so that each exchange has the same amount available, that would explain why some are worse hit than others.

My exchange is quite small so not as many Sky Connect customer would be on it (if it wasn't LLU) but I bet there are some exchanges with 100's more Connect customers on, if they had the same bandwidth but between a lot more people it would explain it.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think exchange contention is also a lot to blame, that would account for some getting a reasonable service(IANTE) and others(Steve) getting one that is almost unusable. The biggest problem is that Sky seem to be unable to distinguish between P2P and the like and normal browsing. I have no doubt at all that there are probably hundreds on P2P and torrents still downloading as much as they can during the peak period, with no more restraints than normal browsers.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12