Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Fon and Sky Broadband.

This is a discussion on Fon and Sky Broadband. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm interested in the ' Fon ' free global wireless Internet access network that has gained quite a wide ...

chingf0rd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bromley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Fon and Sky Broadband.

Hi,

I'm interested in the 'Fon' free global wireless Internet access network that has gained quite a wide audience (through customer BT Openzone routers in the UK) that uses your bandwidth through a segregated private authenticated network.

I was going to buy a Fon router and plug it into the Sky one, but it's not really clear to me whether their T&Cs will prevent me from joining Fon by sharing my connection. Sorry if I've missed a thread (done a search, can't find much - only this one on DigitalSpy)

I'm not going to debate the security issues, just wondering if it is ok to get Fon using a Sky BB connection.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Re: Fon and Sky Broadband.

Condition 2a in Sky's Terms and conditions:

"2. Using Sky Broadband (a) Sky Broadband is for private use by you and members of your household only. "

chingf0rd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bromley
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Hmm. Ok - thanks. I don't understand the next bit about additional household users must be allocated a separate username and password...there's one username and password on the router and that's it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When calling Sky support the agents will only (officially) deal with the registered user. This allows you to register an extra user or users who can call support. This applies quite often where the registered user is not very broadband/TV/Talk literate, another person who is, can be registered to deal with queries/complaints.
      It has nothing to do with the router really.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      When calling Sky support the agents will only (officially) deal with the registered user. This allows you to register an extra user or users who can call support. This applies quite often where the registered user is not very broadband/TV/Talk literate, another person who is, can be registered to deal with queries/complaints.
      It has nothing to do with the router really.
      thats not strictly true.

You can have upto 9 additional email accounts associated with the main profile, but if the main user (account holder) is not computer literate, then for someone else to get assistance with any broadband issues, they still must know the password on the main account. No password, no assistance.

The only thnig an additional user should be able to get assistance with without knowing the password is their own email account. If its a connection issue, or related to the primary email account, then Data protection must be confirmed

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Sorry, I know you are connected with Sky and should know, but that is not how I read the T &Cs. This section has nothing to do with Email which is covered in it's own sub-section.
      2. b) You will be registered as the primary user but you can nominate additional users provided they are members of your household and they consent. Any additional user must also provide a user name and password which must be different to yours.
      There is no suggestion here that this applies to Email, but specifically mentions being 'registered'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.