Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

About to sign up to MAX but.....

This is a discussion on About to sign up to MAX but..... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi i was with bulldog internet 8Mb but i was recieveing a steady 6Mb for about 2 years, Basically they ...

kaosNW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

About to sign up to MAX but.....

Hi i was with bulldog internet 8Mb but i was recieveing a steady 6Mb for about 2 years,

Basically they got brought out buy tiscali/pipex and tried to crank up the costs so i left! unfortunatly the w*nkers messed me up, diddnt give me a MAC code and i had to return to BT and get reactivated with a new number

Basically my BT line went active today and i was just about to sign up for sky MAX but when i typed in my postcode/phone number it says

"Testing your line shows it should support broadband speeds of up to 4 Mb*"

4Mb!?!?!? why is it saying that? 2 weeks ago i was recieving 6Mb on a 8Mb service no problems so why would a 16Mb service only give me 4?!?! could this be down to the fact the line has just gone active today and BT havent updated their database fully?

I dont want to pay for 16Mb and recieve 4Mb please somone help me! i really need to get my broadband on asap

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: About to sign up to MAX but.....

BT's data base on perdicted line speeds is all over the place. The best thing to do would be to sign up for Sky Mid then if your line stats indicated that you could got much faster than 8 meg and you would be better off on ADSL2+, you could upgrade to Max.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

The BT checkers are woefully out of date and were based on ADSL Max not ADSL2+.

Also they weren't very acurate even for ADSL max lines as I was constantly told by BT I can only get 5 meg/sec even though I had been synching at 8 for years.

Although your speed may not reach the full 16 meg/sec due to distance from exchange and the quality of your own house internal wiring, but I would have thought if you were getting the full 8 meg/sec on ADSL max you can expect at least 10 meg/sec and possibly more.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

I just entered my details into 02 and BE and got the message
      "At present BT is unable to tell us how far you live from your exchange and so we can't give you an accurate speed estimate. "
      so im guessing this is why skys estimates are so low! ill try again later when its hopefully updated!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for the speedy replys!
      The thing is download alot so i think the download limits on Mid may be inadequate for me, so im thinking to try and just order MAX and see how it goes, if its extrememly slow there must be a way to downgrade/cancel before 12 months right?

also does anyone have any ideas how long the max package takes to go live from when i order it?

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

If you are on a "fresh" line with no previous ISP on around 6 working days from when the order is taken, although you should get a letter from Sky saying when you will be activated.

Note if you order before Nov 25 you will be exempt from the 5 increase to broadband charge if you don't have Sky Talk until 2010.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks! so hopefully i will order MAX tonight or tomorrow (give the database time to update, as the 02/BE website says its unable to check the distance yet)

and then i wont have to pay the new hiked up prices!

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaosNW View Post
      and then i wont have to pay the new hiked up prices!
      Hope you're right, however, I suspect the effective date will be your activation date not the date you sign up.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

if its extrememly slow there must be a way to downgrade/cancel before 12 months right?
      Don't count on it! The only ones I have seen being able to downgrade had speeds of 512kbps or worse. You will obviously have better than this, so will be told to wait till the minimum 12 month period is up. You would be well advised to go for Mid, upgrading is easy, downgrading almost impossible.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.