Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection dies instantly

This is a discussion on Connection dies instantly within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had sky for about two years now and ,always had one teething problem that sky just dont have ...

nicnaks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Connection dies instantly

I have had sky for about two years now and ,always had one teething problem that sky just dont have the answer to.
      I can be surfing ,playing games all day and then suddenly the line drops all together.
      The pc says im still connected but if i click a web page ,it hangs for ages then says page can not be displayed.I cant even get emails.
      Sky supplied me with the Sagem router to get over this ,and even though its less frequect it still does it. Any Idea's ?
      I have Devolo ethernet boxes as i cant get wireless signal in back room
      only one phone in house
      and the router is connected into the test socket

2. Advertisement
      googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Connection dies instantly

Stats please

simms5280 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have also recently started getting this problem. I have been problem free for about 8 months, now i get disconnection problems. (using Sagem router)

My router is saying that i am still connected but my internet connection doesn't work for around 10-15 seconds i keep refreshing my browser and then it eventually comes back on. The times when it times out are intermitent. I am connected to my Apple Mac wirelessly.

I also connect to my Xbox through hard wire and this to has the same problems so i don't think it is a wireless problem.

i haven't tried unticking UPnP yet is this the best place to start?

I will upload my stats later, i usually leave my router running 24/7.

I am on the mid package and have downloaded a fair bit recently is this activity something you could expect if your limit was reached ?

I am using my Master Socket and have no equipment plugged into my secondary socket
      Last edited by simms5280; 18-11-08 at 02:50 PM. Reason: needed to add more info

Exchange:
      Thanks

my stats are

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3067 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.0 db 33.4 db
      Noise Margin 5.6 db 14.5 db
      Last edited by nicnaks; 18-11-08 at 02:30 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your noise margin is fairly low, especially if it was taken around the time of your post. This means that in the evening when phone lines become noisier, it will drop further and probably disconnect you. If you are connected to the Test socket(not the Master) this probably means you have a fault on your line. What like is your voice line for noise? Try a quiet line test by dialling 17070 option 2. If there is any snaps crackles or pops on your line report it to whoever you pay line renal to as a noisy line. Don't mention broadband or they will not be interested.

@simms5280
      It would be better if you started your own thread as trying to help 2 people on one thread is difficult, even if it appears that the symptoms are the same. Post your stats at the same time to avoid delay.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thankyou for that info .I have done the quite line test and its as quite as can be. Not sure what to try next

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unfortunately if your line is quiet, there is not much else you can do. There is probably a fault on the line, but without a reason to call them out, BT will do nothing without payment.
      Your only option may be to ask Sky to cap your line to prevent drop outs. I never like recommending this as, depending on who does it, you could be left with a stable but very slow connection. Maybe someone else can make another suggestion.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

@ Nicnaks.
      Just to be sure, you say in your first post that you only have one phone, are there any other extension sockets that you do not use? I know you said you use the test socket, but if there are other sockets they may still cause a problem if incorrectly wired.
      Sorry if this seems like spilting hairs, it's just to be sure.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No i understand why your asking.
      I have BT line into house (box) face plate is off and i have my filter connected straight to the test socket,one phone line (one phone only) connected to the phone side and my router to the other.then from router to powerline right next to phone socket ,and other powerline in back room.
      So no extensions or other phones.
      I have tried to sort this for a long time with sky.they have had BT out 4 times and replaced the router from netgear to sagem.
      Last time i spoke they said the exchange had the new sky software install so they could monitor it.
      But i dread ringing them as it takes for ever to get any where.
      I will be honest the sagem seems more stable then the netgear router.
      May be the old saying of "if its not broken dont fix it" is the way to go.
      Just means when it stops i just have to turn off router and powerlines and restart them both