Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router queries

This is a discussion on Router queries within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Folks, A quick couple of questions if you would be so kind - -I am currently thinking of going ...

tigger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01324
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Router queries

Hi Folks,

A quick couple of questions if you would be so kind - -I am currently thinking of going to Sky broadband but notice that the router sent out is a wireless router. I contacted Sky to see if a wired router was available but was told I would have to cough up 17 a month rather than 5 for the mid package for the privilege of using a wired router! The girl on the phone was unfortunately not the most helpful hence the search on the web.

My question is does the sky router have wired connections on it in order that I can plug in my network. I much prefer the security and reliability of the wired network but I do not want to pay over the odds.

Also I have heard (read rather) that there are issues relating to the reliability of the Sky broadband especially if the phone line does not have the capacity of the 8mb etc. Do sky cap (if requested) the speed to 2mb if that is all the line can cope with?

Thanks in advance of any help.

Cheers
      tigger

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Router queries

It has both wired and wireless connectivity on the routers supplied and Sky can and will cap the line if requested or if the line can only carry a lower speed stabily.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As Paul says the router has 4 wired ports, the wireless can be disabled if not required.
      but was told I would have to cough up 17 a month
      This is the charge for Connect. Are you sure you can get the LLU service from your exchange. Remember, just because it is enabled does not mean you can get it, many exchanges are fully subscribed as connections are limited.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tigger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01324
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Thanks for the repies. I have checked with the Sky BB web page and my phone line does get broadband -

Broadband Base, Mid, Max are available via your BT landline number. Your phone line can support download speeds of up to 2 Mb.
      For 5 per month I think I will give it a go.

Many thanks for the help.

cheers

tigger