Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awful Service From Sky

This is a discussion on Awful Service From Sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; About four weeks ago my broadband died. I called sky ran a few tests and they replaced my white Netgear ...

Spoff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Awful Service From Sky

About four weeks ago my broadband died. I called sky ran a few tests and they replaced my white Netgear router with a black Sagem one.

I had exactly the same problem, no access to the internet. I was connected wirelessly as I always had been put putting the cable in made no difference. The laptop and router were talking but no connection.

Sky sent out a BT telephone engineer, despite the fact I was speaking to the on the very same BT line. There was no problem with the line so Sky sent out a BT Broadband engineer who confirmed the line was fine. Sky didn't phone me back as they said they would.

After this I had an internet connection. download speed was 48kbps and uplead was 50kpbs. I phoned sky again and whatever they did stopped what little broadband I had.

They sent out a third BT engineer who once again confirmed no problems and advised sky to do a 'lift and shift' at the exchange. This was Monday. I also called Sky and they confirmed a lift and shift would be done and they would call me Tuesday.

The Tuesday phone call never came so I called them. They had not arranged for the exchange work to be done and had no notes saying they should phone me. They arranged for the work to be done yesterday.

I got home from work and the internet worked from 8pm when I turned it on. At 11pm I noticed the internet light was not on the router so I called them. After ten minutes I was cut off I phoned back and was asked if I had been sent a new router!!!

I kindly requested the phone opporater read the case notes and he said there was a problem with his system and would I phone back!!! I made it clear I expected my problem to be solved today and for them to call me at 6pm. I'm not holding my breath!

I was on the max service from September 2006 for over a year before switching to the 2mb service and haven't had problems with it.

This last month has me wondering why I should bother staying with sky. The customer service has been awful. Twice phone calls haven't come. And I have been cut off about 6-8 times. Apparently they're trialing a new telephone system and know they're having problems. That on it's own is a disgusting way to treat it's customers.

I'm happy to post stats if anyone here thinks they can help. I'll just need you to tell me what stats you need and where I get them so I can put them on here tomorrow.
      Last edited by Spoff; 12-11-08 at 11:45 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Postman Pat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leytonstone
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Thanks

Re: Awful Service From Sky

Hi sorry to hear about your ongoing problems? It might be useful if you post your stats using this link.

Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! How to get your router statistics

Thanks

Cheers PP, will check tonight and post back tomorrow.

Thanks

Right, checked my router and the stats are 0 for everything!!!

Was on the phone with Sky again for over an hour last night and they have decided a FOURTH BT engineer is required.

the last BT guy said there was nothing more BT could do, that the fault was with Sky equipment at the exchange. I advised the guy at sky about this and his reply was to offer to put me through to the cancellation department.

He went on to say if BT cannot resolve the issue then Sky will cancel my broadband account as there is nothing more they can do!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I am surprised Sky are getting BT out again, normally they are reluctant to get them out once, never mind multiple times. This is exceptional, especially for a free service.
      I would have thought, as Sky call out BT, they would send them a report on what was wrong which should point Sky in the direction to get it fixed.
      Have you tried another router?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I told Sky I didn't want them to send a fourth engineer out because the previous ones all said the problem was with the sky equipment at the exchange.

the sky guy said it cost them 150+VAT each time they called them out.

The fact I am on the free services is making it awkward, because I am reluctant to complain to much because as the good old saying goes, you get what you pay for and in this case I am!!!

I have tried two routers, the original white netgear one I had and the black sagem routher they sent out a few weeks ago.

I have mixed and matched the wires and filter and tried it in all phone sockets, including the test socket in the house.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spoff View Post
      I told Sky I didn't want them to send a fourth engineer out because the previous ones all said the problem was with the sky equipment at the exchange.
      The report from the previous engineers would have information about the problem in the exchange and they should have fixed it, if not sky would have sent an engineer to rectify it.

samperry209 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Littlehampton
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

tbh i would of taken up the offer of he engineer as they aint cheap!!

i find sky seem to pass the buck quite alot!

tbh i would of left ages ago if this was me

because my problem was at the exchange they just switched my pairs and that solved it lol!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It does look like Sky are throwing a lot of good money after bad and somewhere along the line someone is not doing their job. If BT confirm the line is OK and different routers have been tried, that only leaves the exchange equipment. The exchange equipment is Sky's responsibility and they should have sent one of their engineers to check it. They cannot blame BT for faults in their own equipment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

the fourth (and fifth) BT Engineers came out friday, they connected with their router fine, put mine in and nothing. Put there's on again and it was fine then mine came to life.

For less than five minutes.

BT think the replacement router is the problem and another one is being sent out.

At the minute I can get between 1 and 30 minutes of internet before it goes off. Almost as if the router is getting too hot?

Borrowed my brother-in-laws sky router (same as mine) and stayed conected the hour or so he was here.

Hopefully the next router that arrives will work...

Stats at the minute are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2047 kbps 409 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49.5 db 24.6 db
      Noise Margin 15.3 db 22.0 db
      Last edited by Spoff; 16-11-08 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added stats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast