Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

A few things...

This is a discussion on A few things... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Our Sky Connect package was activated last Thursday so I'm aware of the "10 days of connection testing" thing Sky ...

RivaOni is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

A few things...

Our Sky Connect package was activated last Thursday so I'm aware of the "10 days of connection testing" thing Sky do. However today we've had a few problems.

First off I use a desktop PC whilst my partner uses a laptop, for the majority of the evening she was unable to use the internet if the PC was browsing the internet as it would become incredibly slow. So I thought I'd play on the XBox 360 for a while, this however disconnected her.

The latter has happened once before on our old Tiscali connection and I think it may be an IP conflict, although I'm not 100% certain on that, would setting a static IP for both the XBox and the laptop prevent that from happening again?

Back to the former problem, we had something similar happen back when she first got the laptop, and on our old router we were able to set the connection priorities for each device and share out the connection evenly (giving the 360 priority for online gaming), is this possible on Sky's Sagem F@ST 2504 router? If so, how do you do it?

If theres any other way I can counter these problems, I'd be more than willing to try them.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: A few things...

Setting seperate IPs will stop the IP clash, is there a reason why all units are not using automatic IP assignment? As far as I know there is no way to assign priority to traffic via the Sky routers.
      Are all connections via ethernet? Any firewalls installed etc?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I set the XBox 360 to have a manual address because of this clash on our previous Tiscali connection, hopefully I've sorted that particular issue by giving it a larger number than previously (last number was .3 but I've now changed it to somewhere in the 100's) as the laptop was refusing to connect using a static IP, ran a few restarts and it always dials an IP in the range of .4-.10 as its last figure so hopefully the clash can be avoided.

The XBox and Desktop PC are both connected via Ethernet, the laptop is Wireless and no, theres no firewalls running on either system, again because of clashing problems.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unfortunately I think you a subject to the Connect throttling policy, there have been several complaints about this over the last few weeks. Until your 10 day training period is up you will get nowhere with Sky support.

It may be advisable for you to post your stats from the router as BT have a bad habit of putting Sky customers on the wrong package, your stats will show if this is the case. To get your stats click the Statistics button on the router Status page and copy and paste the Connection speed, Attenuation and Noise margin here.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Stats are as follows

Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7424 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 26.0 db
      Noise Margin 8.2 db 21.0 db

Exchange:
      Thanks

Also meant to mention, its only the laptop (via wireless connection) that seems to be running slow online, the PC runs fine and as far as I can tell I've not suffered any lag on XBox Live.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

At least your stats show that you are on the correct package so there is nothing to worry about there. Wireless is always going to be a bit slower than wired, but if you have not already done so, run TCPOptimiser or DrTCP from the links below. Changing the channel on the router may also give wireless speed boost, check through the channels and see if you can get an improvement.

It goes without saying that the wireless adapter must have the latest drivers installed. Check these from the manufacturers site, don't believe what Windows tells you!

Just to add to earlier comments, if all your machines are set to 'Obtain an IP automatically' there is no way you can get IP address conflicts. The only way these occur is if one or more machines are set up manually and started up later than a machine with the address given out by the DHCP server. One way to avoid this completely is to set up each machine with a reserved address using the facility in the LAN IP setup of the router. This is especially useful if you have to open ports for a particular machine.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well, the conflicts fixed, and as far as we've noticed the TCPOptimiser program has done the trick, although I only ran it this afternoon and have not really given things a proper run (the biggest drain of resources is obviously missus on Laptop, myself on Live) and it might all have been Sky testing our connection...

Thanks to all who have helped so far!