Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help

This is a discussion on Help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Guys and welcome to my first thread and post! Typical that the first time i post on here and ...

Clarkes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help

Hi Guys and welcome to my first thread and post!

Typical that the first time i post on here and i have a problem!

Anyway here is the problem, after gaming on sky for a few months and reading this thread i managed to get my Max delays on the line turned down to 8 to reduce the pings (woo)

The problem is that after this had been done my connecting keeps tripping out which im finding frustrating, i have a computer upstairs wirelessly connected used for gaming which is about 8 feet away from the router (as the crow flies, it has to pass through the ceiling) and a laptop which is used for browsing.

When im on online games or trying to download things (upstairs) the connection trips out but dont seem to have a problem browsing downstairs on the laptop.

i dont know much about networks but i am quite computer literate so after some thinking (which hurt) i can think of a couple of possibilities:-
      1. The line has not been capped and is unstable or
      2. The line has changed and the wireless usb dongle thing i have got cant handle the bandwidth

has anyone got any idea's whats up with it? By the way ive got a rather lengthy cable coming tonight so that might solve or rule out some difficulties.

Thanks for your help guys

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Help

If the downstairs PC does not reproduce the same errors, you can pretty much rule out your broadband side of things.

Try another wireless channel in your router? It is possible someone who lives near you has the same channel selected and its causing interference.

For gaming, you would always be best using a wired connection to the router.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Clarkes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Help

I thought as much lets hope this cable will sort things out

Thanks for the help