Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extending wireless

This is a discussion on Extending wireless within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a netgear v2 router for my sky broadband which is at the bottom of the stairs,now i have ...

gagde is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dimsdale
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Extending wireless

I have a netgear v2 router for my sky broadband which is at the bottom of the stairs,now i have a spare d-link 524 router in the living room which now isn't being used now i would like to connect it to the netgear as an extension as for xbox live the signal is quite poor how would i set it up if anyone knows it would be big help thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Extending wireless

Forget wireless for gaming, get a couple of homeplugs and connect via them, huge improvement for your console, you can also get ones that act like a wireless extender aswell if you need a bit more distance for your laptop etc.

My connection improved greatly when I used them, no more drop outs or lag issues.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You can connect your spare router to the Sky one by ethernet and use it's wireless output. It does mean finding a route for the ethernet cable, which can sometimes be difficult, especially on different levels. However using Homplugs will give a far better result. If you would like to try connecting the routers, have a look HERE

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You can connect your spare router to the Sky one by ethernet and use it's wireless output. It does mean finding a route for the ethernet cable, which can sometimes be difficult, especially on different levels. However using Homplugs will give a far better result. If you would like to try connecting the routers, have a look HERE
      Right connected the ethernet cable from the d-link router to the sky router made no changes to either router tried xbox live and worked full signal strenth cant be right surely can it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gagde View Post
      Right connected the ethernet cable from the d-link router to the sky router made no changes to either router tried xbox live and worked full signal strenth cant be right surely can it.
      Anyone?.

Thanks

full signal strenth cant be right surely can it.
      Why not? Everyone gets lucky at some time.
      Are you sure you are accessing the Dlink? I don't know a lot about Xbox, but is it possible to do the equivalent of ipconfig /all? That would give you some information.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Why not? Everyone gets lucky at some time.
      Are you sure you are accessing the Dlink? I don't know a lot about Xbox, but is it possible to do the equivalent of ipconfig /all? That would give you some information.
      When doing the network scan on the xbox it gave me two choices the sky router or the d-link so clicked on the d-link added the password and it connected full signal strenth.

Thanks

Did you plug into the WAN port of the Dlink? That may be why it worked 'out of the box', as it may have been given a dynamic address. The only problem I can see is that the Dlink has a default LAN IP of 192.168.0.1, the same as the Sky router. I think the main thing to do is leave it alone, don't fix it till it stops working.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Did you plug into the WAN port of the Dlink? That may be why it worked 'out of the box', as it may have been given a dynamic address. The only problem I can see is that the Dlink has a default LAN IP of 192.168.0.1, the same as the Sky router. I think the main thing to do is leave it alone, don't fix it till it stops working.
      Yes i will leave it now just out off curiosity i tried the wii aswell and that worked too.Also having looked in the attached devices on the sky routers config pages there are two items now one my pc and the other guessing the d-link.

Thanks

Well after a bit of tweaking going into the d-link settings giving it another ip address and turning of DHCP seems to be working fine.The only thing im not sure about is the router is showing up in the attached devices on the netgear settings is that right?.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast