Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

when will free sky broadband be available in North Wales?

This is a discussion on when will free sky broadband be available in North Wales? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; ^^^ One thing is for certain, don't listen to what salespersons in shopping malls have to say. They are there ...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: when will free sky broadband be available in North Wales?

^^^
      One thing is for certain, don't listen to what salespersons in shopping malls have to say. They are there to make a sale and don't care what they tell you. A few years ago I approached one in my local supermarket and asked him when Sky were going to unbundle the local exchange. With a perfectly straight face he said 'Next week sir, can I sign you up now'. I was on Connect at the time and knew it was a downright lie. He was not pleased when I told him the truth.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      jid
      jid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bridgend
      Broadband ISP: Tiscali
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

The other issue is actual space in the exchange. I believe Bangor is quite a small exchange?
      Regards

Jamie

(Tiscali LLU 8meg ; Sync: 7872kbps ; Attenuation: 30dB)

gavin27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01248
      Broadband ISP: ORANGE
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

I get my broadband from the Port Dinorwic exchange which has 1,768 residential premises and 141 non-residential premises. BT have set a target date of Q4 2011 for the switch to 21CN for the Port Dinorwic exchange. So it i think it will be years before I have free sky broadband!!!

Thanks

New internet backbone for North Wales
      Thursday 27 November 2008 10:16:22 by Andrew Ferguson
      Some sites like ComputerWeekly.com are suggesting a new fibre network that will cost some 30 million and provide speeds of 10Gbps will benefit Welsh hill farmers.

The reality at this point in time for the FibreSpeed project seems to be very different. The network is actually a combination of fibre and microwave links forming a 200 mile long Internet motorway stretching from Manchester to Holyhead, initially providing connectivity to businesses in a number of business parks, namely Wrexham Technology Park, Wrexham Industrial Estate, Hawarden Business Park, Deeside Industrial Estate, St Asaph Business Park, North Wales Business Park, Parc Menai, Victoria Dock and Parc Cybi.

The project is not going to be pushing fibre out to individual homes or out to single farms, but what it should do is reduce the cost of providing backhaul in the region. This in turn may reduce the costs of unbundling a telephone exchange leading to more LLU options. Alas LLU is not going to do much for those in the area on a long telephone line where speeds of 0.5Mbps or less are all that is possible, and of course rural farms are a perfect example of this.

All too often any mention of fibre lately is used to conjure up images of ultra-broadband to the home or business, when in reality the vast majority of us are already probably just a mile or less from a piece of fibre that has been laid in the ground in the last ten or so years.

Thanks

Internet cable 'bridging divide'

A project to improve high speed internet connections across north Wales has been officially launched.

The scheme has seen 200 miles of optic fibre cable laid from Holyhead on Anglesey to Manchester.

The 30m FibreSpeed initiative connects business parks and industrial estates between Caernarfon and Wrexham directly into the UK's main broadband link.

Deputy First Minister, Ieuan Wyn Jones said it would "substantially enhance" Wales' internet infrastructure.

"This exciting advance helps arm Welsh businesses with a powerful competitive advantage in resisting the global financial crisis and preparing for the economic upturn that will follow," said Mr Jones.

"It will also in due course encourage development of a comprehensive network to serve a growing number of communities."

Future plans

The project is planned as the first phase of long-term assembly government plans to make high speed data services available throughout Wales.

It is being trumpeted as the first public-private scheme of its kind in the UK, with funding from both the assembly government and European grants.

According to FibreSpeed, businesses that rely on moving huge amounts of data around the internet are currently paying six times as much as their counterparts in London and south-east England.

FibreSpeed Chief Executive, Chris Smedley added: "Access to high speed communications has been highlighted as a critical part of success in the modern world, spanning every aspect of life from children's performance at school to businesses' ability to compete in the global economy."

Initially, it is envisaged that business users at 14 sites across north Wales will be the main customers for the service.

However, it is hoped that other internet service providers will be interested in extending the network throughout the region, opening up a possibility in the future of ultra-fast broadband connections for more rural communities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12