Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using two routers problme

This is a discussion on Using two routers problme within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; HI I have a pc in a bedroom successfully using Sky Netgear for the last 2 years, no problem I ...

dave@justgofaster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Using two routers problme

HI

I have a pc in a bedroom successfully using Sky Netgear for the last 2 years, no problem

I want internet in the lounge for a PS3. I bought a s/h router from Ebay, plugged it into the PC, went to the IP addy, reset the SSID etc and the router works fine, I got online no probs. I put my old router back in, had to unplug the phones and all that, and went straight back on line

Yet the new reconfigure router that worked fione on the pc, will not connect through the PS3? I know the PS3 is fine, because we have been online before my old router which used to live behind it. So maybe I can't use 2 routers? dunno, can anyone help?

As soon as I plug in the second router, the connection to the pc drops, clearly using two doesn't work, or I'm not doing it properly
      Last edited by dave@justgofaster; 09-11-08 at 11:44 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Using two routers problme

You cannot use 2 routers on one phone line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dave@justgofaster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

doh! I little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I should have added ..at the same time... but I think you know what I meant.

You can connect one router to the other using an ethernet cable, which allows you to use the second router as a switch or for better wireless, should it actually be better. Ethernet can run up to about 100Ms, so it is usually possible to find a suitable route, even if it goes outside and runs up the wall.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.