Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Lost connection over night!

This is a discussion on Lost connection over night! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, first time poster here! Sorry if this has been posted before but i have spent the past hour looking ...

dwabo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Lost connection over night!

Hi, first time poster here!

Sorry if this has been posted before but i have spent the past hour looking for an answer and nothing seems to be working.

I have one BT extension upstairs tapped off the master, this was installed by BT/SKY when i had SKY multiroom, I have always run my broadband off this and it has been fine. This morning I find that I have lost my connection, (nothing has been changed that i know of) The internet light on the modem searches then goes off, just flashes amber.

I have plugged a telephone into the socket upstairs and it works fine.

I plugged another extension into the master socket downstairs and plugged it into the modem and that works fine, although it cant be permenant as it runs through the house!

Any help here would be great as iv had bad experiences phoning sky in the past.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Lost connection over night!

A couple of things first: can't see much point in calling SkyBB as it's clear that this is a home wiring problem (although I guess you could call SkyTV as they installed the affected extension). Although you say the connection was "fine" previously, I bet if you check, you'd get a much better connection with the router next to your master than you ever got with a Sky installed extension.

Your Sky installed extension has developed a fault. What that fault is I can't say but I'd guess, as a phone works when plugged in, that it is actually a fault with the splitter and/or filter(s) you have it connected with.

As said above, you could try and get Sky to come out and fix it but I doubt they'd do that for free.

Extensions/filters are cheap and easily fitted. You'd be better off doing it yourself, though again, as mentioned above, extensions are never going to give a good quality connection. You can however make the best of things with a little knowledge and you'll find all the info you need in the cabling and faceplate help forum.
      Last edited by Saturday; 08-11-08 at 11:11 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks for that, ill have a read!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

When you say 'tapped off the Master' do you mean it is plugged into the master faceplate. If it is, it is not very good quality, good enough for the phone and Digibox modem, but not for ADSL. As Saturday says, plug the router directly into the Master socket, filter first and I am sure you will be amazed at the increase in your speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If i plug my router into the master faceplate whats the best way of connecting my pc upstairs?

Thanks

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

An ethernet cable (<10) - or if you don't like the idea of running a cable, powerline adaptors (~65 a pair).