Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

CHAP authentication

This is a discussion on CHAP authentication within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello (again!). Around a month ago I was posting here asking for help to resolve my issue of slow speeds ...

sbohan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester Central
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

CHAP authentication

Hello (again!).

Around a month ago I was posting here asking for help to resolve my issue of slow speeds on my Sky MAX broadband package. I write today to appeal to anybody at Sky who may be able to help me.

Last Friday I returned home from work to find that my Internet was not working at all. I immediatly tried the test socket to verify as much as possible that it was a problem outside of my internal wiring and I had the same error.

I was getting a sync speed and all stats such as NM and Attenuation filled in, but no IP address was being assigned and I was receiving the error 'CHAP authentication failed'.

I immediatley rang through to sky and after going through the usual steps the tier 1 advisor asked me whether I would like to hold the line for CST or request a call back. Rather foolishly I decided to ask for the call back within 72 hours...

75 hours passed and still no call back, I decided to ring back at this point and after another hour on the phone (waiting for tier 1 and then for CST) I eventually got through to someone in CST, thankfully this was on my landline phone and not my mobile.

After him trying to figure out the problem with me, he decided to try and run a tone test on my landline line. He called me back on my mobile and we ran the tone test. This wasn't working apparently and he said he was going to 'escalate' my ticket and I would hear back from BT within 72 hours. Again 72 hours passed and I didn't hear a thing, I rang back to try to resolve the issue again.

I pick up my landline and dial the number and to my dismay the landline cannot dial out. Upon futher investigation I discover that I cannot receive calls on the line either, yet I can call BT services such as 1471 and 1571 and I get a dial tone when I pick up the receiver.

I call the sky number from my mobile and I eventually get through to CST again. After finally explaining the issue to the guy, he informs me the action taken by the first CST advisor was wrong and he was going to feed this info back to his line manager.

He told me to unplug my router from the socket and he would ring back in 15 minutes after he has rang some tests on my line. When he calls back he informs me that he knows what the issue is and it is due to a loop issue external to my apartment. He then tells me that he is ordering a BT engineer out to my home for the next (this) morning, the engineer will call between 8 and 1 he says.

It's now 4:30pm and still no sign of said BT engineer, my phoneline is still not functional and I have been on the line waiting for CST to answer as I have typed out this message (and then some) it's been about 40 minutes now. I'd like to know what is going on, how I can verify with Open Reach where there engineer is (or isn't) and when I'm going to get my internet connection back.

If anyone could offer any advice to me at all I would be eternally grateful.

Shaun

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: CHAP authentication

If your phoneline is out of action then phone up the people who rent the line from (i assume BT) and get them to sort out the problem with the line.

Don't mention broadband just say your line is out of action.

When that is resolved then see if the BB is back.

I thought CHAP auth failures were due to a problem at Sky's end and nothing at the customers end.

Unfortunately now it's friday night you may not see a BT engineer until next week now (unless you are a registered vulruanble user)
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

sbohan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester Central
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      If your phoneline is out of action then phone up the people who rent the line from (i assume BT) and get them to sort out the problem with the line.

Don't mention broadband just say your line is out of action.

When that is resolved then see if the BB is back.

I thought CHAP auth failures were due to a problem at Sky's end and nothing at the customers end.

Unfortunately now it's friday night you may not see a BT engineer until next week now (unless you are a registered vulruanble user)
      Thanks for the reply,

Your point is one I understand but I also struggle to, lol. The actual voice part of the line was working fine as the broadband was dead. It was only after at least 5 days of the broadband being dead that the phone line went.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I'm advising you to get your voice side sorted as it is usually easier to get BT to sort that out rather than mention broadband otherwise they may decided to not to be very helpful and tell you to speak to sky and then get in a big merry-go-round.

If you can't make/recieve calls BT has to fix it.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!