Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

connetion speeds

This is a discussion on connetion speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I joined sky connect about 2 mths ago. The 1st week my speeds were always in the range of 6.5mbp/s, ...

rucksack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cookstown
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

connetion speeds

I joined sky connect about 2 mths ago. The 1st week my speeds were always in the range of 6.5mbp/s, when all of a sudden it dropped. I can be as low as 0.4 mb in the evenings and week ends. Some times it is unuseable, have had speedtests as low as 49.29 KbP/S
      In the 2 years with my previous provider this never happened. From about 8am to 2-3pm i get speeds of 6.5 - 6.6 mb (thinkbroadband), from that time on my speed decreases, then from about 7 -7.30pm it is virtually useless.

Sky sent BT engineer and he checked all phone lines (4.30pm) etc and said i should be getting about 7.6mb. Whilst he was there i ran a BT openworld test (where you download a file) I was downloading at 54 KB/S. I should be downloading at approx 800. He could not explain it. BT Speedtester results
      are as low as 1042 when I can run them.

I have replaced ethernet cables, phone cables etc, tried different pc,s some of them brand new, but still get nowhere. Sky tech support is not helping much, they again sent BT to my house but same results.

Have got a netgear Black router from sky, would like to try my old one but sky will not give me my username and password so i can utilise it.

Any one got any ideas as i am at a loss and getting totally fed up with this. Thanks in advance.
      Last edited by rucksack; 08-11-08 at 12:51 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: connetion speeds

It is no consultation, but there are a lot of users on Connect having your problem. You can obtain your username and password from HERE to allow you to use another router. This utility is quite safe, as it was written and supplied by a SkyUser member, James67. It would at least prove whether the router is to blame.

Remember, on Connect, it can take several days before your download speed increases. Take your stats with the Sky router and then with your own one. This should show whether you will gain anything.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Your going through the throttling process. A lot of connect users are going through it.

Do you hammer your connection much ?

rucksack is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cookstown
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

thanks for the replies
      Got username and password and tried my own router last night, same dismal
      speeds (Think broadband 2mb) as i get on sky router. Suprised last night as this was the fastest speeds i,ve had all week in the evening period.

I dont see how i could be subject to throttling, i;m not into downloading loads of stuff etc, mainly just browse web pages etc, would consider myself to be a light user.

Now at the stage where i will move else where as this service is not what i am paying for, plus sky have now had 2 months to sort it out and have not done so.

Thanks

I don't blame you! Unless it is temporary and you are only paying 5 a month I would not recommend Connect to anyone. I am fairly sure it is being severely throttled, whether you download a lot or not. Apart from that, being a BT service, Sky can do little about any problems and BT could not care less.

I have had a look at your exchange and it appears there are no unbundled suppliers, so it does not matter who you go to, you will be in the same position. Getting it direct through BT is probably your best bet.
      Last edited by Isitme; 08-11-08 at 01:06 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The throttling has little to do with your own usage. It is that there are too many people connecting through your part of the system at evenings and weekends, typically starting late afternoon during the week when school comes out, getting worse at about 6 pm when people come home from work and still bad at the weekend when everyone's at home.

You can check this by testing your speed during the day on weekdays or very late at night or early in the morning any day. If your speeds are much better a those times, it is throttling.

You are unlikely to be better off with any other broadband supplier unless you can get a LLU connection.

Exchange:
      Thanks

^^^^ Sorry but there are loads of people who get heavily throttled if they download a fair bit. The speeds start to creep back back up a few days later if they curb there useage. This has been tested many times by many people.

Thanks

^^^^^^
      This is the throttling applied by Sky and it is only supposed to apply to P2P, Newsgroups etc., not normal use. BT also throttle connections in an indiscriminate way which can and does effect normal use.

Sky's policy can be found here -under
      SKY BROADBAND CONNECT TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT POLICY
      Terms & Conditions Sky Broadband - Sky packages

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's only supposed to effect p2p etc, it still does effect normal use if you hammer p2p (and it is a good hammering though)