Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Why Lie to us Sky??

This is a discussion on Why Lie to us Sky?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Have you actually got in touch with sky concerning your problem? If you take a calm, cool approach with any ...

psu300 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ealow
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Why Lie to us Sky??

Have you actually got in touch with sky concerning your problem?

If you take a calm, cool approach with any problems you may be having concerning your internet connection,then you might be able to get sorted out with help with other members of this forum.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

With an attenuation of 41.5 you should see higher syncs than mine, I usually get approx 7mb with an attenuation of 45.

Therefore I would expect the sync for the router to be higher than it is.

If you can try the following to confirm:

1) Plug the router into the test socket, and see if the sync speed goes higher via the stats

Sky User - Help and Support for Sky and Sky Broadband - How to test your Master Socket

2) Try wired rather than wireless to see if your throughput is any better, ie a speedtest again

I still think possibly DLM though or a revised profile which has gone wrong.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Wirless is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      With an attenuation of 41.5 you should see higher syncs than mine, I usually get approx 7mb with an attenuation of 45.

Therefore I would expect the sync for the router to be higher than it is.

If you can try the following to confirm:

1) Plug the router into the test socket, and see if the sync speed goes higher via the stats

Sky User - Help and Support for Sky and Sky Broadband - How to test your Master Socket

2) Try wired rather than wireless to see if your throughput is any better, ie a speedtest again

I still think possibly DLM though or a revised profile which has gone wrong.
      Thanks News, I tried the test socket last time and still got the same result, and when I used the stats on the main modem it's getting like 5mb...

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I may be wrong, but the 798 could be DLM, which afaik was not running for existing customers. Maybe someone else could confirm?
      Yes, that's typical of DLM. Chances are the OP was in the earlier trial. However, looking at the noise margin the capping is minimal at most, if indeed there is any.

@wireless

Your stats show that you have a lot of line noise: your downstream attenuation of 41.5db would normally support ~10500kbps. You're getting a third of that and your noise margin shows that is the best it can manage - which means your line must be noisy.

Can I suggest two things, both involving a little reading: first, have a look at the first link in my signature which will possibly give you a better idea of what is going on; the second, have a look at the cabling and faceplate help forum for info on diagnosing and fixing line problems.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Yes, that's typical of DLM. Chances are the OP was in the earlier trial. However, looking at the noise margin the capping is minimal at most, if indeed there is any.

@wireless

Your stats show that you have a lot of line noise: your downstream attenuation of 41.5db would normally support ~10500kbps. You're getting a third of that and your noise margin shows that is the best it can manage - which means your line must be noisy.

Can I suggest two things, both involving a little reading: first, have a look at the first link in my signature which will possibly give you a better idea of what is going on; the second, have a look at the cabling and faceplate help forum for info on diagnosing and fixing line problems.
      Will double check them out Saturday. Thanks.

And guy's sorry for the ranting. I've calmed down now..

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

As the guys have said you have a slow speed to the router, also the speed test shows an issue with the wireless connection somewhere. So follow Saturdays link, and then repost stats

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by googleme View Post
      As the guys have said you have a slow speed to the router, also the speed test shows an issue with the wireless connection somewhere. So follow Saturdays link, and then repost stats
      I'm reading through the speed, noise, thread now. got work in a 2 hours time so best read half now and the rest later LOL...

Thanks again for helping us out googleme .

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Glad you've calmed down

A couple of pointers:

If you have been DLM'd then your connection is now effectively capped at the 3547kbps your router stats show. In the tests you need to run you're therefore looking for an increase to your noise margin (if the sync is fixed then if you reduce line noise the noise margin rises). If a test socket test using just the router and supplied cable shows no improvement then the fault probably lies with the BT line or much less likely a cable/filter/router fault.

Whatever your router sync is you should be able to achieve ~80-85% of that speed in a speedtest (the missing bit is overheads), wired. Wireless can be anything from 0-85% depending on wireless signal quality, Note quality is not the same as signal strength which is probably what your adapter reports. You'll find advice on improving wireless performance in the wireless forum. Sometimes though wireless just won't hack it, In that case if you want the speed then you need to go wired or powerline.

HTH

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Im not so sure the dropout issue is a Sky problem.

I too have recently been having problems with one of my computers. I have Sky Broadband and have the phase 1 router just to be clear.

About a week ago, my main pc, Vista Ultimate 64bit, began losing the broadband connection. The network status started goin to Local only.

Now, i would normally say this is a router/sky issue, but I have another computer, vista home prem 32bit, which did not lose connection at all. So it couldn't be the broadband dropping.

The only difference between these computers is that the main pc is hard-wired, and the other is wireless.

so i tested the wireless with ethernet cable, and when the main pc dropped connection, the laptop still remained connected.

So I moved the ethernet socket the main pc is connected with, and it still happened, so its not the router.

Now this may sound like I just have a faulty pc or something, but over the past week I have had a lot more calls from people with the exact same issue, and there are a few threads on this forum over the past week like this, so I think they are connected.

All the issues seem to be related.

Now i know sky have done nothing to my line, cos I have access to that information at work. There have been no additional firmware updates to my router either. Nothing at Skys end has changed.

I personally think that the latest batch of automatic updates from Microsoft is affecting certain computers. But I cant find anything to confirm this.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Yup I asked about this during the summer, I found that it was IE 7 doing it in the end.

When I moved over to firefox 3, my wired PC stopped doing it, it was more annoying that the connection seemed to go "stale" and needed to reconnect.

So if your using IE 7 try firefox and see if that improves.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast