Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can only establish connection when using the telephone

This is a discussion on Can only establish connection when using the telephone within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Bit of a strange one. Sky are passing me from pillar to post with this one. My broadband connection ...

kmbrad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Can only establish connection when using the telephone

Hi

Bit of a strange one. Sky are passing me from pillar to post with this one.

My broadband connection has been down for the last month. The @ light on the router flashes orange and I am unable to connect. Occasionally it turns to green and a connection is established, although I'm not sure why.

I just came off the phone from technical help and I noticed why. The orange lamp changes to green when I use the telephone. As soon as I put the receiver down we go back to flashing oranges again. Lift the handset and we go green.

I've changed the microfilters and also disconnected all unnecessary equipment to eliminate them.

Any ideas folks?

As soon as I talk to Sky I get put on hold. I get the feeling no onwe can help.

Could this be down to a line fault? We have had an existing telephone line disconnected and re-used with the main line.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Can only establish connection when using the telephone

do you have another router? if so, plug that in...if the same thing happens its a line issue...

this fault is usually the dsl cable being a bit iffy...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

no, unfortunately i don't have another router. forgive my ignorance, is the DSL cable the RJ11 cable that goes to the micro filter?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

This is often caused by a dodgy joint in the main phone cable. But just to be sure you should plug into the Test socket, if you have one, if the fault is still there, it is an external fault. If it is, do a quiet line test by dialling 17070 option 2, the line should be very quiet with no snaps crackles or pops.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sounds like a high resistance fault. Basically this is where a joint or even a bit of cable become corroded, or partially broken. Because ADSL does not use any extra power off the line the resistance is so high that the ADSL cannot get across the problem area. When you pick up the phone, which runs in a fashion where extra power is supplied the current makes it across the problem area, and so the ADSL connection will as well.
      You should plug a phone into the test socket and do the silent test as described in the previous post. You should actually find that there is noise. It could be a fault drop wire, in which case this will get worse with time and you will get cracking and popping as soon as you pick up the phone.
      If you are sure that you can hear something, then ring BT or Sky depending on who you pay Line rental to. Tell them that you have a crackling sound on the line. They should send someone around. If they are not able to find anything they will charge you. The only other thing you could say to them, is it only happens when its raining, just make sure its not raining on the day they come.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks

I don't have a test socket on my master socket fasia. When I do the line test the background noise (crackle etc) is terrible. I can also hear squelch (pressumably through the modem)?

I think this is down to a fault with the line. As previously explained, at one point we had two telephone lines in the house. The new telephone line had its own master socket in the bedroom for the dial up connection. When we moved to bradband, we cancelled the new line and that socket now runs in junction with our existing telephone line. Sort of a split so we can use both master sockets.

The cabling on the original wire is quite old and worn. I think if this has been merged with the new line somewhere along the connection, this is where the fault is.

I'm with SKY so I suppose I'll have to call them out.
      Last edited by kmbrad; 06-11-08 at 06:16 PM.

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ok, I don't know how technical of a person that you are, but the idea is simple, you want to isolate your internal wiring as the cause. So if you can, open up the master socket and disconnect the extensions cable and plug in the phone then. If the noise persists the problem is outside out your house. Call Sky and insist that there is a loud Crackling and Popping. Sounds like a Drop Wire(cable from pole to your house) problem which fairly common with older houses.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Bit of an update. The interference goes when I unplug the ADSL cable from the filter. I have replaced the modem lead with a spare I have and the fault remains.

SKY are sending me a new router with in 5 days.