Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Max, poor wireless

This is a discussion on Sky Max, poor wireless within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I've just been connected to sky max and wanted to post my stats just to see if they seem ...

5chulzy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Broadstairs
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky Max, poor wireless

Hi I've just been connected to sky max and wanted to post my stats just to see if they seem right, and if I can, how to make them better.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 13405 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 38.5 db 18.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 14.0 db

Wired
      ired

Wireless

The routers connected to the old style master socket and I will be relocating it behind the tv using cat5e cable and replacing it with the NTE5 master with adsl faceplate (trying to get BT to do it FOC or I'll do it myself, but dont tell no one) so I can have my router, sky + and phone all connected neatly instead of using extension cables
      I'm happy with the wired connection speed but my wireless seems to be suffering.
      I've run the tcp optimizer set at 13000kbs

Is there anything else I can do?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Sky Max, poor wireless

Wireless will almost never be as fast as ethernet, unless you are using an N class router. Try changing the Channel on the router, it may improve it a bit. Your ethernet download speed is on the low side for your connection speed, but not by much. You can usually expect 85-90%, yours is 85. Try running the Optimiser with a figure of 16000, see if it makes any difference. You are actually getting a very good speed for your attenuation.

Unless you have hardwired extensions you will gain little by fitting a filtered faceplate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Unless you have hardwired extensions you will gain little by fitting a filtered faceplate.
      Thats why i want to run cat5e cable from a junction box to a nte5 with filtered faceplate.

I'll try changing the channel on the router and the optimiser to 16000.

I know that wireless would be slower than wired but I didnt think it would be that much of a difference.

Thanks

Ive just been doing a bit of digging around and read about turning the Internet protocol version 6 off and my wireless connection improved

Old wireless

Old wired

New wireless

New Wired

Thanks

You must be running Vista or have installed IP v6 yourself on XP! If it is the former then TCPOptimiser will have no effect, Vista does not require optimising. I always advise uninstalling or disabling IPv6, it will not be required for a number of years yet. Once again MS managed to include something as default that slows the system down.
      If you are running Vista and use P2P or Torrents you may find this patch useful. It overcomes the 'half open connection' problem in Vista.

Speedtest,net is not at all reliable, it can give some really strange results. I would try the http://www.skyuser.co.uk/speedtester/

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ive just reset the tcp optimiser to windows default and rebooted the computer just run speedtest.net and got a much slower speed for both wired and wireless less than 7000kbs. just done skyuser/speedtest and got 8944kbps wireless and 9336kbps wired.

Thanks

I've extracted my username and password out of the router and I am now using my own Netgear DG834G router and now getting a better wireless connection

sagem

netgear

Thanks

If you are happier that's good, but to be honest, I think this just shows how inconsistent the Speedtest.net tester is.

TomD

Useful Utilites