Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intermittent Broadband Connection

This is a discussion on Intermittent Broadband Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I have had a problem over several months with my Sky broadband connection. When connected using my PC via ...

ianksu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0115940
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Exclamation Intermittent Broadband Connection

Hi,

I have had a problem over several months with my Sky broadband connection.

When connected using my PC via the Ethernet cable the connection drops after 1-2 hrs although it is not consistent.

I unplug the router and wait 15 minutes then it is usually OK again.

Sometimes I can go a couple of days without a problem other days it is every few minutes.

I also connect wirelessly using my laptop (as do 2 other people in the house). The wireless connection remains connected all the time and I have never had a problem with it.

I have also got a slightly different situation at the moment where I canít connect at all via my PC. I have the yellow triangle with message Limited or no connectivity. Basically it does not have an IP Address and clicking repair fails to renew it. I have tried specifying an IP address but still canít connect to the Internet.

I have had this problem before and it persisted for a couple of weeks before magically disappearing and going back to normal without any intervention from me.

I am connected via an extension telephone socket and the master socket doesnít have a test plate.

I have tried connecting but this doesnít work either.

My broadband is base.

The router is a Netgear DG834GT.

My Stats from the Laptop are as follows:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 33628 38510 0 749 2348 02:55:24
      LAN 10M/100M 6254 0 0 81 0 03:33:20
      WLAN 11M/54M 49611 40225 0 2273 744 03:33:12

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 704 kbps 320 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 26.3 db 14.0 db

I have contacted Sky several times without any joy.

Is there anything else I can try before cancelling my whole sky package?

2. Advertisement
      krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Broadband Connection

You seem to be heavily capped. Only reason it would be capped that low is if your setup was incorrect when you phoned sky and before you got to CST they recalibrated your line.
      You should be able to get the full 2mb with no problems.

What is your physical setup like? Detailed info on it would be great. Also have you tried the testsocket?

As for the Limited or No Connectivity, It's most likely you have entered the network key incorrectly, Or you were using WEP encryption and you pressed the reset button on the router for a few seconds to revert the wireless settings back to default.

Access the Router page via 192.168.0.1
      User: admin
      Pass: sky
      Get the Wireless key in the router.
      Try disconnect from the wireless Network and try to reconnect to it again putting in the correct network key. It SHOULD work. (Obviously do this with the ethernet cable connected).

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Krysis.

I have had my line reconfigured at least 3 times I am told that I am getting the max for my line although my exchange supports 3.5mbps.

I am not sure what info you are interested in about my physical setup?

I don't have a testsocket so can't try that.

As for the Limited or No Connectivity, this is on my PC without wireless i.e. using the ethernet cable I therefore don't have to supply the network key.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you're blatantly NOT getting the most of your line - but if connection still drops as it is now then you've either got a very bad setup or a line issue...

as for limited/no connectivity - try setting a manual IP address...usually fixes things...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Other simple things to try (if you haven't already) are; a different ethernet cable, and using a different port on the router. Is there a common thread to when the disconnections occur? Time of day other machines switched on etc? If none of these work, I would agree with IANTHE that a static IP address is the way to go. If your router is using 192.168.0.1, and you have several other machines connecting, I would set it at say 192.168.0.25, and check within the router settings to make sure that your range is going that high.

Thanks

I agree about the line but don't want to get stung for a £200 bill from BT to come and look at it. Is there anyway round this ?

I have tried using a static IP Adresss which does make the Limited / No Connectivity go away but it still can't connect. I then get a DNS type error.

I have been round the houses with this one, I have tried all the obvious solutions, have sat on the phone to Sky for hours on end entering IP Addresses, Plugging and Unplugging cables, rebooting and just about everything else you can think off.

The only reason I have put up with it for so long is because of the whole sky bundle but as my contract expires at the end of Nov I thought I'd give it one last go to resolve before moving on.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Your connection is not great, you need to sort your setup out, or get yourself uncapped, or both.

Try in the master socket and not in the extension that you are using and post your stats from there.

Thanks

Thanks Nigel and IAmNotTheEnemy,

I have tried a different ethernet cable that Sky sent to me but made no difference. Also tried all 4 ports on the router.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the disconnection and it has happened at all times off day. With and without other machines switched on.

As in previous post I have tried the static IP address.

Thanks

Sky have agreed to send me a new router.

I am not sure this is the problem but it will at least move me closer I hope.

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

That might fix it, have you looked at your network card, it might be worth searching for later drivers, and checking to see what lights (if it has any are on). You don't mention how old the pc is, from experience in our office a network card seems to last about 3 years, I guess slightly longer at home. A check in device manager might be worth a look. What firewall(s) are you using? I'm no expert in that field, but I have seen other posters reporting firewall issues. As it's only on the one pc, my hunch would be that the fault is there rather than with the router.

Out of interest have you tried any of the wireless machines via lan? If so what happened?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast