Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dwindling download speed

This is a discussion on Dwindling download speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, Sorry that my first post on these forums is a help request A background on my problem. We ...

SydB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arnold (EMARNOL)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Dwindling download speed

Hello all,

Sorry that my first post on these forums is a help request

A background on my problem. We took up Sky Max back in December. Although sites like Samknows stated to expect 4.5Mbps, we were quite chuffed to find we had nearer 7-8Mbps. We never had a problem once until May the following year. The modem started to drop the connection intermittently. Sometimes it could be once in 24 hours, other times it couldn't even connect with a stable green LED. After numerous calls to the helpdesk (as they read through their scripts), asked to use the test socket, change cables / microfilter etc. All to no avail. They then escalate it to the next level of support, who decide that it's trying to connect at too high a speed and cap the connection to 4Mbps. Wasn't totally happy losing so much bandwidth, but what can you do. Recently the speed has dropped to 2Mbps without warning, nor the fact we'd never had any problems since it was dropped to 4Mbps. It just refuses to get a better connection.
      I'm going to fire off an enote to Sky (I spent 20 calling them last time).

Samknows details we're 2.2km from the exchange.

Modem details are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2042 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 50 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 24 db 20 db

The modem is connected to the engineers socket (has been since May), I've done the usual swapping cables and microfilters. I've tried to get a better understanding of the Attenuation & SNR ratio, but I'm a bit of a noob with ADSL.

My questions are (since Sky take an age to reply in my experience), how can all be well for five months, then suddenly the line can't handle the speed? The other, with the modem numbers stated above, can you see anything wrong? It is entirely possibl we've been caught up in the DLM, but we've had this issue for over 20 days (a fair few months). I initially thought Sky were throttling the connection, so was looking at walking come December to go to Be. Now I'd rather find out if this connection can be saved.

Thanks

James

2. Advertisement
      FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Dwindling download speed

Your huge downstream noise margin indicates that you have been capped, possibly because of instability on the line.

Best to phone Sky, complain of low speed and ask them to remove the cap.

SydB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arnold (EMARNOL)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Dwindling download speed

Thanks FelixTCat, I'll contact them to see what has changed.