Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is someone else using my connection?

This is a discussion on Is someone else using my connection? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be able help. I've noticed that the lights on my router often flash ...

bopper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Is someone else using my connection?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be able help. I've noticed that the lights on my router often flash even when I am not conected to the internet (and my computer is off). I've also noticed this message a few times over the past couple of weeks "Windows System Error . There is a IP cpnflict on another system on this network." Has anyone else had the same problem? I'm worried that my connection may have been 'hijacked'. Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Is someone else using my connection?

If you are using wireless (or haven't disabled it in the router) then the router will attempt to connect to other wireless adapters by sending out a signal. That causes the light to flash. This will happen whether or not it is connected to the internet.

You can check who has connected to the router since you last logged off logging on and going to Maintenance - Attached Devices. It shows which IP addresses have been issued by the DHCP server.

Regards,

Felix

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you are using wireless (or haven't disabled it in the router) then the router will attempt to connect to other wireless adapters by sending out a signal.
      I must say I have not noticed that, the only time the wireless light flashes is when an adapter is connected. If you are using wireless, you should make sure that WPA security is enabled and a strong password used. If you cannot use WPA then use WEP and also use the Wireless Station Access List to ensure only your devices can connect wirelessly. Not 100% but better than nothing.

If you are not using wireless, turn off the Wireless Access Point by unticking Enable Wireless Access Point.

Going by the number of times I have seen "I am connecting using my neighbours wireless" on this form alone, it seems there are a lot of unsecured networks out there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I see you have the Sagem Router, like all other routers comes with the WPA already on the router. If the security is on then its very unlikely that someone is using your network. However if you have changed the WPA key to something that appears in a dictionary then it is possible you have been hacked.

If you are using WEP then it may well have been hacked. The Netgear V1 could not be WEP hacked, but I have yet to test the Sagem for WEP hacking. I may well givei t a go if I have time.