Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Issues with new connection

This is a discussion on Issues with new connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I'd be grateful for any thoughts from forum regulars on an issue I've been having with my new Sky ...

alanjrobertson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Issues with new connection

Hi

I'd be grateful for any thoughts from forum regulars on an issue I've been having with my new Sky broadband base connection.

Although my sync speeds seem fine and my attenuation/SNR seem acceptable (see below) I find the actual transfer speeds much worse than expected. I'm averaging 600-1100kbps on a variety of speed test sites and in realworld use I find that BBC iPlayer keeps rebuffering (even on standard quality streams). I use this same laptop at another location with 2Mb Virgin Media broadband without any issue so the PC itself doesn't seem to be the issue.

I've tried connecting directly to the master socket but there was only a slight reduction in attenuation/rise in SNR with no appreciable speed difference.

I've filled out a form for Sky customer services but would be interested to hear if other people had experienced similar issues or had any particular advice regarding what aspects I should be pushing with Sky.

Thanks!

Alan

Normal socket
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 db 23.0 db
      Noise Margin 27.9 db 13.0 db

BT Test Socket
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2048 kbps 384 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.0 db 21.5 db
      Noise Margin 30.8 db 14.0 db

2. Advertisement
      krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Issues with new connection

How are you connecting? Wireless? Ethernet?

Your sync speeds seem to be fine though. I don't know if it could possibly be the 256 error kicking in sometimes? But from the stats look oke to me. Personally I would increase the upstream to 416kbps just to be on the safe side.

Other than that would you have any other programs open on the system? Downloading/ Uploading any files at the same times? Anyone connected to the router using a computer/ console elsewhere in the home?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for such a quick response!

I'm connecting wirelessly but initially was on ethernet and it didn't seem to be any faster. [It's also wirelessly when I'm connecting at the other location where the 2Mb connection seems to work OK.]

Agree increasing the upload speed might be worth a shot - is this something they're willing to do? (I've got Sky Mid in another flat that has a Slingbox and I'd love to have a slightly better upstream speed for it!)

No other uploading/downloading going on - Windows Update is fully up to date. No other PCs, only other device on the network is a printer that's in sleep mode!

Cheers

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krysis View Post
      Your sync speeds seem to be fine though. I don't know if it could possibly be the 256 error kicking in sometimes? But from the stats look oke to me. Personally I would increase the upstream to 416kbps just to be on the safe side.
      The OP is using a Sagem so its not going to be the 256 problem.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Just a thought, but have you considered upgrading to sky Max, because your stats are what mine were before i was on max. You could get up to 9Mb with a 40db attenuation after the up to 3db increase for ADSL2+ taking it to 40db.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is fairly obvious that you have been capped or possibly put on the Base package. Phone Sky and ask them to check your package and troubleshoot you for slow download speed. Your test socket shows a better connection than your main which suggests your internal wiring is causing a problem. When you phone Sky keep plugged into the Test socket.

PS I am surprised the SkyBods did not see this.

Edit - I am confused by this Broadband ISP: Sky Mid (Craiglockhart), Sky Base (Steeple)
      Last edited by Isitme; 30-10-08 at 04:13 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Edit - I am confused by this Broadband ISP: Sky Mid (Craiglockhart), Sky Base (Steeple)
      You must have missed the part where he said:

Quote Originally Posted by alanjrobertson View Post
      I've got Sky Mid in another flat

Thanks

I'm just confused, period

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies! Yep, I'm on Sky Base in this flat. Although the attenuation rose slightly and SNR fell slightly on the connection that wasn't directly into the test socket I didn't think this was a significant enough difference to be of relevance (esp. as it continues to sync at the same speed).

Sky replied today to say it is 'within acceptable parameters' and then explained how to change wireless channel. I pointed out the speed was just as slow on the wired connection and I didn't feel 600kbps was an acceptable speed for a 2Mb connection! Will see what they come back with.

A.

Thanks

Your sync speed will not change as that is the maximum you will get on Base. The fact that you are syncing at this speed means Sky are doing all that is required of them. The speed is being delivered to the router, the fact that you are getting a low download speed is down to your PC settings. I would advise you to use an ethernet connection until such time as you sort the problem out. You can then try to improve the wireless speed. Try going to the TweakTester and take the test. You can then download and run DrTCP to apply the recommendations.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast