Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dropping & Speed

This is a discussion on Dropping & Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, Give this a try, Plug the router and one good phone into the test socket. Then wait for the ...

naza911 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stechford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Birmingham UK

Re: Dropping & Speed

Ok, Give this a try, Plug the router and one good phone into the test socket. Then wait for the router to sync and get the IP and everything. Then Using a mobile ring the landline number, and pick up the phone. Then post what happens, its sound like a high resistance fault, so first thing you want to is to totally isolate the external line.
      Another thing that may be helpful as well, is to just plug a corded phone into the test socket. Dial 17070 and select option 2 and see if you can hear any noise. You may want the press the Secrecy button if you have it on the phone to must out any Mic noise.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

The enormous difference between the extension socket and the Test socket make it obvious the internal wiring is faulty. A filtered faceplate will fix it. If the OP fits one, his troubles will be over. He may have to get his extension wiring checked, but that is a separate exercise.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Quote Originally Posted by Sraew View Post
      Ok, I'm currently plugged into the Test Socket;

She is on the phone right now while I'm browsing the net, so its 100% normal in the Test Socket, so what could be wrong with the basic socket?
      If I understand you correctly.
      You were plugged into the TEST socket behind the faceplate of the master socket and broadband was working OK.
      At the same time she was talking on the landline phone.

If so your internal wiring is incorrect.Removing the faceplate from the master socket should isolate all internal wiring and extension sockets.Cowboys at work again.

As Isitme says fitting a filtered faceplate will fix your problem but for it to work properly all your extension sockets need to be connected to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12