Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Am I being capped/limited??

This is a discussion on Am I being capped/limited?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been with other networks where this has happened, but only when I actually did exceed the daily limits and ...

Mr_Ozzy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Am I being capped/limited??

I've been with other networks where this has happened, but only when I actually did exceed the daily limits and such that got me limited for the next week or so, but pretty sure I read that SKY don't do it and I haven't been downloading much of late anyway.

We've been on 8MB Sky Connect for about a year and had no problems. We've even exceeded the monthly usage allowance a couple times but still our connection and speeds have remained solid.

But now since Monday, at around 4-6 pm the Internet turns to crud, downloads (unless direct through IE) shrivel to between 1 and 2 kb/sec and best I got direct was 25kb/sec.

Normally speeds are between 500-700.

So now in the evenings I can't even surf the net it's so bad. Pages don't open, got no chance of watching a vid on YouTube. It's pretty terrible.

So any idea what's wrong? We've not even been downloading much recently so I don't see why all of a sudden this has happened?

In the mornings and after midnight it recovers and is a solid 500+ speed again...

Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Am I being capped/limited??

On Connect you are now limited peak times.

What we don't understand fully is,

If you have to hit the 40gb cap first

or

Generic capping peak times without hitting the 40gb cap, maybe you could confirm?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Mr_Ozzy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Thanks

Ok thanks. That sucks.

So did that go into effect in the last week or two?

I can't say if I've hit the monthly cap this month, it's possible but I don't think so.

Most other ISP's i've been with work it out on a daily basis. Say you download over a GB in a day then for the following week you are capped during peak times.

But they didn't have a set monthly usage. (that was cable Virgin Media)

Damn.
      Still to have an 8MB connection be capped so that it's even worse than 56kb dial-up is ridiculous...

The capping I've had before was normally about 50%. My speed is being capped to between 1-5% of what it should be...to the point it's unuseable during that time...

Does anyone have anymore info on what SKY is doing here, or a page with usage info.
      We have not been contacted by SKY about any of these changes, and looking through the official site it's not easy to find any specific details for the Connect package as it is now.

Thank.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

It's not Sky it's BT capping the connection as it is their service you are on.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

SKY BROADBAND CONNECT TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT POLICY

In addition to the monthly Usage Cap, this Traffic Management Policy applies to you if you take Sky Broadband Connect.

Excessive use during peak time We will monitor your Sky Broadband usage during peak times from 5pm to 12am each day. This is when the majority of customers use the network and when speeds could be affected by the excessive usage of a minority. If we consider that your usage is excessive during peak times we may slow down your connection for the rest of the day so that it has less affect on others. Only a very small number of customers will be affected by this (less than 2%). If you are affected, we will only slow down the speed you can get during peak times for applications which use a lot of bandwidth (for example, streaming, peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers. You will still be able to use Sky Broadband to do other things normally such as browsing, email, instant messaging and VOIP. There are no restrictions in place outside of peak times.

Traffic management of our Network
      To ensure we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers, we continuously monitor and efficiently manage the Sky Network as a whole. To do this, during peak times (from 5pm to 12am each day), we may slow down the speed that all Sky Broadband Connect customers can get on certain applications which we consider use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      It's not Sky it's BT capping the connection as it is their service you are on.
      That could be seen as a rather mendacious statement.

Sky buy their Connect product from BT. It is priced to them by, amongst other things, the amount of bandwidth used (cumulative across a large number of accounts). BT would be more than happy to charge Sky more for more bandwidth but Sky will have set a limit. Sky couldn't possibly afford to sell Connect at 17 (or 5) with increased allowances so that's why it is limited. What has most likely happened is that Sky has oversold Connect for the capacity they have agreed with BT. No doubt this is being addressed (one would hope) but the lead time for more capacity is at least 12 weeks.

So yes, it is BT that is throttling Connect connections but only under the agreement they have with Sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Apart from capping there seems to be a problem with the Connect service. This appears to have worsened over the last few weeks/months. Previously when I was on Connect, and also the same service with Plusnet, I had no problems with download speed. There were also very few questions raised about it on the forum. Now it seems there is a post being made every few hours complaining about the Connect speeds. I think something is going on that is being concealed from users. Maybe a poll for Connect users on how their connection performs would reveal something?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.