Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Email transmission abuse

This is a discussion on Email transmission abuse within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Good evening all im just wondering if you could possibly help me with a dilema im currently faced with. My ...

Blood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thumbs down Email transmission abuse

Good evening all im just wondering if you could possibly help me with a dilema im currently faced with. My internet has been intermitentlly dropping for the past few weeks with no explanation, today to my suprise on return to my house on looking at the status of the router 'CHAP authentication failed'. I contacted Sky who told me my account has been suspended due to abuse of email transmission, he could not further enlighten me on this matter as the abuse department was closed. I don't really understand the concept but he said something along the lines of sending too many emails. Just how many is too many,

Your help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks George

2. Advertisement
      skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Email transmission abuse

that is total bol... you know the rest, maybee you have too many inthe skygoogle inbox, unless you are send a hidiosly large amount of email every day 500+

Thanks

this is what i thought the first thing to notice is that i don't even use sky email, I explained this to the man and he said its any email address on the account

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I think it's a bit quick to suggest that you have been told rubbish.

it's not unheard of and there is precedent where a user account had been hacked and was being used to spam.

The account was suspended by the ISP to ensure integrity of the network and to stop the spamming.

I'm afraid you will have to wait for the 'abuse' dept to open to get the details.

Make sure you have all the security settings on the router swicthed on correctly and do a full overhaul of your PC for virus etc etc etc.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It is quite possible and not bol as our friend politely, evaded the swear filter, that your PC has been infected with a trojan, which mass emails from your PC using your Sky broadband account, without you knowing about it.

Sky Abuse team don't normally cut anybody off for no valid reason, and I would bet a tenner they will have all the logs, when you manage to contact them.

In the meantime, I would virus scan your PC or any others in your household, to be on the safe side.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

if you have been on any dodgy websites they imbed the virus in your tempoary files any move them when you erase the files, once no lie,i went onto a dodgy website by accident and the internet was struggeling to crawl and the gb's went like that so i looked to see where all this space went,and the folder i found had 4,5 7 gb of rubbish and adulterated stuff,and i could not delete it,and the virus had been downloading it and if i didnt connect to the internet it froze my pc after 3 minutes from logging off, so i reset to factory setting and it was gone,like my files

so if in doubt reset it and use your antivirus to find anything eg.super sensitive.

and p.s. i ment a bolder of lies

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Yes, your account has probably been suspended pending investigation for abuse.

Sadly, there are a lot of baddies out there in internet land and a growing problem are "bot nets". These are compromised PCs which are under the control of these badies, unbeknown to the actual, legitimate owners. Reportedly, there are now estimated to be many millions of these computers which are believed to be responsible for possibly 90% of all the spam sent on the internet. The real owners of these machines often have no idea their machine has been compromised as it is invisible to normal use.

So, the presumption is that your computer has been compromised. Sky may be wrong but generally, they're not. To have suspended your account they will have been informed that the IP address assigned to you at a particular time or times has been sending spam.

You need to treat this seriously.

If Sky say your PC is infected then it is up to you to prove that it is not. They will often ask you to completely reformat your drive and sometimes ask for independent verification that this has been done. This will cost you money and there's the issue of having to backup your data etc.

As importantly, if your system has been compromised it is almost a certainty that any personal stuff is personal no longer - this includes any email addresses found on your PC plus of course banking details, passwords etc. Quite probably not just those stored but also those entered (they use a keylogger).

The first thing you must do is check your antivirus. Update the definitions then run a scan. It may well not find anything, after all, if the machine is infected then it slipped through the net. Then use one (or two) of the free online scanners such as those provided by Kaspersky or Panda. Between them they should find most infections.

If none of that finds a problem then you will be in a better position to argue your case with Sky.

If you do find the problem then be prepared for a lot of hard work removing it - and get a better antivirus

HTH
      Last edited by Saturday; 26-10-08 at 06:20 PM.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yup the FBI estimates that Botnets now run to approx 20% of all the PC's in use in the world, totally hundreds of millions.

They are getting so many computers you can even buy 50 zombied PC's for 30 to DOS a website you don't like, (from new scientist)

So big time antivirus scan and see what the abuse team has to say.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Thanks very much for all your support and guidance in particuarly Saturday your reply was most useful. On contacting Sky i explained that all systems had now been formatted to which they obliged to return my internet access, thanks again

George

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

way to go :clap:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast